GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion" Empty Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion"

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 am
Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion" L_116ba890

Currently riding a five-fight win streak dating back to 2011, many fans and pundits believed it would only be a matter of time before Sergei Kharitonov would join the UFC heavyweight ranks. Yet in a recent interview with Russian news source MK, Kharitonov revealed the reasons that made him hesitant to sign with the promotion.

"To be honest, I just think that the UFC does not need a Russian champion," Kharitonov explained. "This conclusion I made a long time watching this promotion. Our guys are fighting, fighting, and do not get a title shot. But we are trying. Sooner or later."

Over the past two years, Kharitonov has fought for M-1 Global, Tech-Krep Fighting Championships and even dabbled in kickboxing for Glory. Given the contractual freedom to fight wherever he pleased, Kharitonov was cautious about signing away that freedom by joining the UFC.

"As for me, I am 35 years old, I am no longer a young athlete. If I sign a contract with the UFC, they will give me one fight a year. And now, in the previous two years, I've had almost seven bouts. Therefore, I believe that I chose the right position. I stand where I want and where I am given the opportunity. I fight at the same time with worthy men."

However, Kharitonov, who holds a win over current UFC champion Fabricio Werdum, is still interested in a rematch against the Brazilian.

"If I get an invitation, I would love to fight with Werdum again."

Asked what sort of contract would tempt Kharitonov to join the UFC roster, Kharitonov revealed that he wanted to remain active and work his way towards a title shot within the year.

"I would want a contract for one year with three fights, which provided I win the first two, grants me a title fight."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/19/9176195/kharitonov-explains-reasons-for-not-signing-with-the-ufc-mma-news
--
Interestly Fedor told something similar recently

"I would like to mention our Dagestani guys who are fighting very well in the UFC. Not all, of course as it should be, because there is a certain ... I understand that for the UFC it is not beneficial to have our guys be champions. As far as I know, UFC all the time try to make the American champions. This is not fair like it was in Japan. In Japan each fighter had their admirers. Fighter won or lost, but the fans were there for him. I think in USA people wants to see an American champion."

http://combatbear.com/6/post/2015/08/fedor-emelianenko-ufc-doesnt-want-a-russian-champion.html
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion" Empty Re: Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion"

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:24 am
I can see a russian in the future winning the uFC hw belt

some one special will come along someday!

Russians have amazing boxing and sambo.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion" Empty Re: Sergei Kharitonov "UFC does not need a Russian champion"

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:38 pm
^Yeah I agree.  Sambo is one of the best martial arts to transition to MMA.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm
Zuffa FC is just a private owned american sports entertainment promotion. It will never become a true worldwide combat sports league.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum