GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gustafsson lost vs Silva: A Growing Pandemic

+10
Van Halen MMA
StillWill
Adax
Misowaman
ZuffaKiller
RussianTopTeam
Wolfman
PRIDE NEVER DIE
CDF47
Dagwood
14 posters
Go down
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Gustafsson lost vs Silva: A Growing Pandemic - Page 2 Empty Re: Gustafsson lost vs Silva: A Growing Pandemic

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm
Dagwood wrote:
StillWill wrote:I agree that Gustaffason should have engaged more. If he had sat down on his punches he would have had his man out of there by the second. Still in no way did he lose, he coasted to an easy decision.

My point was meant to be that.... IMO way too many times in the fight, Gustafson was running at full speed backwards away from Silva for long distances around the cage. He was continually disengaging from the fight in this manner not simply stepping away to avoid an attack. In fact, he was running so fast backward that Silva couldn't get into engagement-range coming forward running at high speed himself.

I'm not saying the Swede didn't out-score Silva. I am saying that 'if' the ref, or any ref, under the unified rules 'actually' begins to apply foul #23 as it is written then Gustafson would have been repeatedly warned, point-deducted and maybe even DQ'd. This stuff is not being called just like strikes to the back of the head during finishing. Whether it's the commissions not paying attention to it or whether it is a referee cultural thing, idk.

There is a huge difference between backing up to avoid a strike and continually running backward at high speed so that your opponent can't get close enough to hit you. Gustafson was doing this for most of the fight here. Jon Jones does this even more, even turning his back sometimes. It's a large part of their game plans. Shits gotta stop.

I agree. Timidity fouls could have been called in this fight. This needs to be enforced for these types of tactics and LNP.

MMA is a fight sport and these guys need to come to fight. Attempting to finish, being aggressive, and doing damage are the most important criteria in my opinion. One reason boxing has lost so much appeal is due to the constant almost guaranteed decision point fighting.

Point fighting has no place in MMA in my opinion as the rules state. Timidity is a foul and needs to be strictly enforced.
wekka
wekka

Gustafsson lost vs Silva: A Growing Pandemic - Page 2 Empty Re: Gustafsson lost vs Silva: A Growing Pandemic

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 am
Its called sticking and moving.
A boxing technique that has been utilized for ages.

No reason to throw your arms in the air in disgust for its STRATEGY. You know, that thing you utilize to win, which is the main objective of sports.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum