GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

tyrone spong signs with glory... Empty tyrone spong signs with glory...

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm
http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/17000-tyrone-spong-signs-for-glory-but-mma-still-an-option

Tyrone Spong has signed for Glory.

A leading heavyweight kickboxer with a KO rate of over 60 per cent, Spong - nicknamed ‘King of the Ring’ - was being courted both by K-1 and by GLORY, which has positioned itself to take over the number one promotion spot in the kickboxing world of late.

“I am very happy to join GLORY and take part in their heavyweight division. It was clear to me that GLORY World Series represents the toughest challenge in kickboxing,” said Spong, who recently relocated to South Florida where he trains alongside UFC superstars Alistair Overeem and Rashad Evans.

“The best stand-up fighters in the world are taking part in this league,” Spong continued, “and I want to prove that I am the best. I will be the king of the Glory ring”

Spong’s deal is exclusive regarding his kickboxing activities and lasts for two years. But he is still interested in MMA and so the contract allows him to take part in MMA fights, although that likely won’t mean the UFC is an option because they also likes their fighters to be exclusive.

However, it does leave open the possibility of an organisation such as Strikeforce utilising his services if he feels comfortable at that level of opposition. But kickboxing is likely to remain his primary focus and, with Overeem exclusively committed to MMA at present and Badr Hari looking at a jail sentence, Spong is a bright prospect for the heavyweight top spot.

His signing is significant because he was one of the few top-name free-agents in the kickboxing world and they have become an increasingly rare commodity as the battle between K-1 and GLORY heats up. The former has the brand name and the history but the latter has signed most of the top names to exclusive deals and is aggressively pursuing expansion.

Most recently it bought out the Its Showtime promotion, Europe’s top organisation, and that has been likened to the UFC’s buyout of Strikeforce in terms of industry control. K-1 has countered with the announcement of a Spike TV deal in the US but in terms of heavyweight star power, it is being outgunned by GLORY, which also recently announced that it had signed Remy Bonjasky to an exclusive deal.

Spong’s debut for the organisation has not yet been published but there are several events coming up - including a heavyweight ‘Grand Slam’ tournament in Tokyo, Japan this December and an October trip to Brussels, Belgium - that might be an option.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum