GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated

+5
monaroCountry
Dagwood
RussianTopTeam
InTheJungle
KSW
9 posters
Go down
KSW
KSW

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated   Empty Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:27 pm
Moments ago on the Strikeforce media call to announce the new Showtime deal, it was announced that Strikeforce will be doing away with the heavyweight division in the near future. The way that the set-up is sounds as though Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will meet in the Strikeforce Grand Prix finals and the winner will fight one more time against a (as it was put) "top heavyweight contender." After that fight, the heavyweight division will be eliminated in the promotion with fighters presumably moving to the UFC based on the promotion's desire.

UFC president Dana White said on the call that the division just is not deep enough to have it in both promotions and they will instead focus on the other classes and women's MMA.

When asked if any other division would get cut the answer was an absolute "no."

They also clarified that they would continue to operate 135 and 145 for the women, even if they do attempt to get some of the bigger name fighters together for big fights as Dana once again brought up depth issues.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/15/2638783/strikeforce-heavyweight-division-to-be-eliminated-following-grand
InTheJungle

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated   Empty Re: Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:30 pm
without Fedor and Overeem, it's probably for the best.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated   Empty Re: Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Kharitonov is either going to the UFC or Dream for sure now, unless K-1 makes a comeback, then I just see him doing Kickboxing.

http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm
Mark my words... Barnett and Sergei will get fucked in this deal.

InTheJungle

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:33 pm
Sergei is a weird one. He's a favourite of many, and I personally believe he should be in the UFC, but the argument could be made that he doesn't.

Barnett, however, belongs at the top of the sport. He is a top 5 Heavyweight, only dropping out of the rankings due to inactivity. He is the best of the best.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm
at this point, I dont see Kharitonov fighting for anyone but Dream or maybe even Bellator. UFC hates Golden Glory and so does M-1.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm
the UFC doesn't hate Golden Glory. They had problems, but they were patched up. Overeem was still with Golden Glory when he signed with the UFC.

I don't want Kharitonov to step anywhere near Bellator. Their MW, LHW and HW divisions are shameful.
I'd like him to fight for DREAM, Pro Elite and maybe even One FC, but Bellator? Does anyone REALLY want to see Sergei Kharitonov vs. Bummy McNobody fighting out of nowhere, Alabama? Me thinks not.

monaroCountry

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 pm
InTheJungle wrote:without Fedor and Overeem, it's probably for the best.

Fuckwit zombies cheered when Zuffa acquired Strikeforce thinking that there would be better fighter exchange. Guess what, that "business as usual" was a sham and a lie. Shady Dana wanted to get rid of competition and wanted other promotions less access to Showtime. I guess a weak and barebones Strikeforce is what we have to contend with.

People will desert, giving Zuffa an excuse to FINALLY CLOSE DOWN STRIKEFORCE and one other competition (all the while gaining the rights to their video library). This should sound familiar, its a similar shady move to what they did to Pride.

Zuffa the promotion killer.
ZuffaKiller

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:20 pm
actually bellators Middleweight division is fine the LHW and HW divison need more quality guys. The Lightheavyweight division does have some good Euro prospects. And don't believe bellator has done a show in alabama.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:20 pm
InTheJungle wrote:the UFC doesn't hate Golden Glory. They had problems, but they were patched up. Overeem was still with Golden Glory when he signed with the UFC.

I don't want Kharitonov to step anywhere near Bellator. Their MW, LHW and HW divisions are shameful.
I'd like him to fight for DREAM, Pro Elite and maybe even One FC, but Bellator? Does anyone REALLY want to see Sergei Kharitonov vs. Bummy McNobody fighting out of nowhere, Alabama? Me thinks not.

this is true, now that I think about it, I really don't want to see Kharitonov fighting in some remote area inside of a mall in bumble fuck nowhere ,

rather see him in OneFC, Dream, M-1, or Pro Elite Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated   177911770

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:24 pm
RussianTopTeam wrote:Kharitonov is either going to the UFC or Dream for sure now, unless K-1 makes a comeback, then I just see him doing Kickboxing.

K-1 will be back I think next year or the year after. Apparently with a new backer and structure.

InTheJungle wrote:the UFC doesn't hate Golden Glory. They had problems, but they were patched up. Overeem was still with Golden Glory when he signed with the UFC.

Patched up you say? Stop bull shitting.

Golden Glory was raped in the ass by the UFC after the UFC did some shady deals with Overeem. UFC wanted Golden Glory locked out and Overeem wanted to treat his fellow fighters, managers, and lifelong trainers as the fucken "cleaning lady".

Stop telling lies in support of Zuffa, we all know that your a Zuffa supporter.

As evidence, check out what Bas Rutten has to say including fellow fighters ripping Overeem posters off the wall and Overeem's lifelong trainers being treated like garbage.
monaroCountry

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:28 pm
RussianTopTeam wrote:

this is true, now that I think about it, I really don't want to see Kharitonov fighting in some remote area inside of a mall in bumble fuck nowhere ,

rather see him in OneFC, Dream, M-1, or Pro Elite Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated   177911770

OneFC, M1 and Dream would be the best. These guys actually allow their fighters more freedom. If he went to UFC hed simply face off against a bunch of inexperienced fighters, a couple of cans, a couple of pensioners, and one or two top fighters (JDS and Overeem). And thats pretty much it.

With Dream he could fight in K1, boxing, MMA against other champions.
InTheJungle

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 pm
oh monaro, you crazy bastard
I am neither a zuffa supporter nor a zuffa hater, there is a middle ground you know
brace
brace

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm
Basically Dana is saying they need more HW for UFC. When there will be need for more LW, then they will absorb the LW and so on. My guess is after Sonnen Munoz fight, the SF MW will get absorbed as well, because UFC will run out of contenders at that weight class.
monaroCountry

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 pm
InTheJungle wrote:oh monaro, you crazy bastard
I am neither a zuffa supporter nor a zuffa hater, there is a middle ground you know

Your posts say differently.

So why dont you just stop pretending and show your true colors?
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 pm
brace wrote:Basically Dana is saying they need more HW for UFC. When there will be need for more LW, then they will absorb the LW and so on. My guess is after Sonnen Munoz fight, the SF MW will get absorbed as well, because UFC will run out of contenders at that weight class.

Sounds about right. Showtime just needs to kick them to the curb. But I think Showtime will probably milk the situation as well. They just want content, when the time is right they'll tell Zuffa to take a hike. Kind of an interesting competition they have going on. Zuffa subtly fucking over Showtime, and Showtime seeking to get the most out of the situation, really. Showtime holds more cards, but Zuffa has going for them the fact that Showtime needs the content.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:24 pm
monaroCountry wrote:
InTheJungle wrote:without Fedor and Overeem, it's probably for the best.

Fuckwit zombies cheered when Zuffa acquired Strikeforce thinking that there would be better fighter exchange. Guess what, that "business as usual" was a sham and a lie. Shady Dana wanted to get rid of competition and wanted other promotions less access to Showtime. I guess a weak and barebones Strikeforce is what we have to contend with.

People will desert, giving Zuffa an excuse to FINALLY CLOSE DOWN STRIKEFORCE and one other competition (all the while gaining the rights to their video library). This should sound familiar, its a similar shady move to what they did to Pride.

Zuffa the promotion killer.

Yup, I just roll my eyes when dana comes out and says business as usual and all these new fans believe his every word. I knew they were going to destroy Strikeforce the moment I heard they bought them, as they did with PRIDE, WEC, WFA, and now Strikeforce. Unfortunately they keep killing superior products I enjoy watching more than the ufc.
KSW
KSW

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48 am
Zuffa will eliminate one division at the time like they did with WEC. This is good because when SF is completely eliminated another promotion will shine.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum