GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'

+8
Doku
KryonikMessiah
monaroCountry
marchegiano
rezin
brace
Jingles
KSW
12 posters
Go down
monaroCountry

Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'  - Page 2 Empty Re: Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 am
KryonikMessiah wrote:
monaroCountry wrote:The only thing that Gegard needs to train is wrestling TDD and thats it. His trips, fantastic kicks and punches were far better than any American fighter. I guess if Gegard needs to train his wrestling in the US then JDS, Jon Jones, GSP, and Anderson Silva needs to train in Holland to polish up on their kickboxing.

Difference being, the States have Duke Roufus. Don't exactly see a world class wrestling team in Holland.

That's supposed to be some top class kickboxing team? is that the best America has? If it is then I rest my case.

You also do know that Russia and that whole region has a whole bunch of top level wrestlers, Gegard could just train with these guys.

Gegard's TDD was actually pretty good, the few times OSP was on top was because of a reversal and because Gegard was trying to do a submission move.

These UFC fighters on the other hand DO NEED TO TRAIN IN HOLLAND/RUSSIA/JAPAN to improve their kickboxing. But hey maybe thats why these so called new breeds hate to fight outside of home and hate to fight outside of the safe Unified Rules garbage.
monaroCountry

Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'  - Page 2 Empty Re: Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 am
Jon Jones need to train outside America in his striking and Cain definately needs to train, he got KTFO big time!
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am
rezin wrote:Sorry, wrestling is the most important. If I out wrestle you I win, even if I fail at wrestling you more than half the time.

Its the intention that counts. The intention to wrestle you.

He he, what are you gonna do about it, eh? Wow, clean, hard, accurate punches to my face.

Yeah, that cute and all, but take a look at that clock. Its counting down and I'm on top of you, he he.

Man this is easy, I just gotta wait and I w......oh oh I think the ref will stand us up, let me improve position.

There, I have moved a little and even threw a punch. I win.

This was awesome. Looking forward to the next time I fight, which should be in about a year.

Greatest, most accurate description of Ultimate Fighting, ever!
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:44 am
I specified "Duke Roufus" and "Holland". Well aware of the popularity of wrestling worldwide, especially of the Mongolian, French, and Iranian varieties. Know people on these forums can be vague at the best of times, but I meant exactly what I said, not what could be implied.

Roufusport is a pretty damned high end striking camp. Guy's insightful as hell. Granted, it's not GG or Vos, but regional styles of Kickboxing are quite valid. Hell, I have a friend in Norway who goes to a club that specializes in Combat Submission Wrestling and American Style Kickboxing.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/275195/Duke-Roufus-offers-suggestions-for-MMA-striking/

Though to your point specifically, I agree. Fighters who have trained internationally do reap many benefits. I don't have such options, but I do go out of my way to get multiple "takes" on things, even though my base is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I've been doing this for almost ten years now, come to think of it. I'm preparing to go to a seminar ran by Billy Robinson to improve more, and I go to Team R.O.C. in Fayetteville, NC, with a bunch of military fellows, including Tim Kennedy.

So it stands to reason that cross-training certainly helps! Don't mistake "long winded" for "negative", I like these discussions.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:19 am
I'm just going to say this because it often isn't recognized enough, knowing full well that it is not at all a substitute for wrestling by any means.

Holland has some really great judo practitioners.

Still, wrestling is a must (although judo isn't bad for some things).
Michał
Michał

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 pm
Gegard Mousasi knocks out Anderson Silva and Bones jones. Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'  - Page 2 842534874
marchegiano
marchegiano

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:23 am
monaroCountry wrote:The only thing that Gegard needs to train is wrestling TDD and thats it. His trips, fantastic kicks and punches were far better than any American fighter. I guess if Gegard needs to train his wrestling in the US then JDS, Jon Jones, GSP, and Anderson Silva needs to train in Holland to polish up on their kickboxing.

Dude, how much better would they be if they trained with real kick-boxers? I know you were being sarcastic so I must come off as dense as dense densington, but yes. I agree with that statement. IMO Dan Gable as your wrestling coach, Floyd Mayweather for boxing, Remy Bonjasky for kick-boxing, and Fedor as lead, general MMA not so specified, but not limited to the afore mentioned. So that it all comes together well. Bingo Jingo your the baddest man on the planet......for a while.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:10 pm
Mousasi should keep training in Holland with Fedor and Alexander. Those 3 training together with the best kickboxers is a great combo. If they need some wrestlers just add them to that group, no need to travel anywhere else. They could also bring in some Sambo guys since they like takedowns and top control a well.
KSW
KSW

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 pm
Kinosis wrote:Mousasi should keep training in Holland with Fedor and Alexander. Those 3 training together with the best kickboxers is a great combo. If they need some wrestlers just add them to that group, no need to travel anywhere else. They could also bring in some Sambo guys since they like takedowns and top control a well.
Sounds perfect to me. Mousasi shouldn´t have to train in the US.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:44 pm
I think he's probably doing the right thing, to be honest. It isn't just about improving his wrestling--although the US is a good place for doing so--it is also adapting better to the US style of MMA cagefighting. Just my take.
monaroCountry

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 pm
marchegiano wrote:

Dude, how much better would they be if they trained with real kick-boxers? I know you were being sarcastic so I must come off as dense as dense densington, but yes. I agree with that statement. IMO Dan Gable as your wrestling coach, Floyd Mayweather for boxing, Remy Bonjasky for kick-boxing, and Fedor as lead, general MMA not so specified, but not limited to the afore mentioned. So that it all comes together well. Bingo Jingo your the baddest man on the planet......for a while.

If you compare it to the normal guys that Gegard normally trains with now then yes, that statement wasnt too much off the mark. You have to remember that Gegard is already a top level K-1 fighter and not your run of the mill UFC fighter whose hyped up to be K-1 level yet have never fought anywhere near K-1.

The only benifit of training in America would be the weight cutting department, change of scenery, and more people to knock out (his current gym has a whole bunch of K-1 fighters whose harder to knock out). Everything else, Gegard would be better off where he is now.
monaroCountry

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm
Gegards Combat Experience

MMA = 32 wins 3 losses
Kickboxing = 8 wins 0 losses
Boxing = 12 wins 1 loss
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum