GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch???

+6
CDF47
Realidea
PRIDE NEVER DIE
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
MuayTyson
Dagwood
10 posters
Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? Empty Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch???

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 am
Another student of the GSP school of non-engagement, atrocities against the Finnish, and slow death by boredom from jabbercide.

I just can't take it no mo! Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? Emot-emo

MuayTyson

Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? Empty Re: Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch???

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 am
some pitter patter stuff , but enough to impress ur boy vinnie it seems.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? Empty Re: Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch???

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 am
MuayTyson wrote:some pitter patter stuff , but enough to impress ur boy vinnie it seems.

Sad commentary of where things are going with those rules. The ref should be screaming "work to finish" like in M-1. Not keep pitty pattying like a little bee standing or on the ground.

How the f*** couldn't Davis finish off a guy that was walking around like a defenseless slo-motion zombie for the whole fight. He hardly left a mark on him. He wouldn't really engage the guy at all. What a crying shame.

At least Vinny attempted some real offense a few times... but Vinny needs to find a different line of work.

MuayTyson

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 am
i think he got vinnie rocked in the first round and after that vinnie kinda started to gas. davis did a good job of cruisin trough the match from that point on.

Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 am
Yeah it was annoying to hear Joe babble on about Phil's evolution when his opponent was the calibre of a walking heavybag.
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:14 am
Give Phil a break guys, this was his second fight this week Laughing
Realidea
Realidea

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 am
ye i was annoyed with Rogan saying Phil striking look good. he was fighting a guy with zero striking. plus i think he landed maybe 5 clean shots. Now Phil will get KO his next fight because he thinks he has Leben K-1 level striking
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:23 pm
That Davis performance was BS I agree. Point fighting BS.
wekka
wekka

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 pm
Phil Davis should be at the point where he's actually evolving as a fighter, which remains to be unseen since his abysmal Rashad fight.

Its no.excuse really if Cormier has developed one of the best striking games in the.entire HW division. You'd think Davis could develop at least a quarter of that ability, unless he suffers from Brock Lesnar syndrome.
Realidea
Realidea

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:49 pm
wekka wrote:Phil Davis should be at the point where he's actually evolving as a fighter, which remains to be unseen since his abysmal Rashad fight.

Its no.excuse really if Cormier has developed one of the best striking games in the.entire HW division. You'd think Davis could develop at least a quarter of that ability, unless he suffers from Brock Lesnar syndrome.
NO Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? 3077217049
wekka
wekka

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:54 pm
I'm not saying Cormier is THE best but if you can't see that Cormier has developed a fairly technical stand-up skillset and mixes his strikes really well.

If you can't see that, then quite frankly, we should be the one's laughing at you.
MuayTyson

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 pm
I always thought Cormier has overrated standup , but wekka makes some fair points in regards to both him and Davis. I can respect that.
Realidea
Realidea

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm
wekka wrote:I'm not saying Cormier is THE best but if you can't see that Cormier has developed a fairly technical stand-up skillset and mixes his strikes really well.

If you can't see that, then quite frankly, we should be the one's laughing at you.
yes his shit has gotten better But its no where near the best in the HW division
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm
Realidea wrote:
wekka wrote:I'm not saying Cormier is THE best but if you can't see that Cormier has developed a fairly technical stand-up skillset and mixes his strikes really well.

yes his shit has gotten better But its no where near the best in the HW division

And nobody said it was. Did Phil Davis even land a full solid punch??? 1637259359
TehPackage
TehPackage

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm
I thought Phil would win by TKO maybe catching Vinny in the stand up. Vinny wouldnt engage in the stand up and Phil didnt want to go to the ground. Thats usually the result with 2 fighters with below avg. striking.Phils stand up has always been below avg. Looked a little better but nothing to go crazy over.
Realidea
Realidea

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 am
wekka wrote:Phil Davis should be at the point where he's actually evolving as a fighter, which remains to be unseen since his abysmal Rashad fight.

Still cant read Tott?
wekka
wekka

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:56 am
Outside of Hunt, Overeem, and possibly JDS, who else do you think has better stand-up?
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 am
Cormier has good hands, no doubt, but it seems silly to call him one of the best heavyweight strikers around.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:05 am
wekka wrote:Outside of Hunt, Overeem, and possibly JDS, who else do you think has better stand-up?

OK. I'm gonna say it.

The only guy that has really good stand up at HW is Mark Hunt. Overeem is/was a power puncher with not much for combinations and a bout zero for counter punching. I guess you could say that for everyone else in the division except Bog Nog when he's was at his best.

Of the rest Cormier's got the best speed and seems like he can throw some kinda combinations. He's got some really nice high kicks with impressive speed. The jury's still out on his power IMO.

The days of great HW strikers like Fedor, Crocop, & Igor are well behind us. Sadly the modern age of MMA will probably never see guys like that again. The 'superior' part of the MMA new breed don't quite add up to me, or to Matt Hume, or to Pat Militech, or to Eddie, or most here. All of those old schools guys where so technically superior on the feet to the new breed guys. One technically superior both on the feet and the ground... the others very well-rounded.

The highly evolved new breed fighter is a fallacy. There is almost zero 'great' striking & 'great' submission grappling going on these days in the UFC.

MuayTyson

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:59 am
Dagwood wrote:
wekka wrote:Outside of Hunt, Overeem, and possibly JDS, who else do you think has better stand-up?

OK. I'm gonna say it.

The only guy that has really good stand up at HW is Mark Hunt. Overeem is/was a power puncher with not much for combinations and a bout zero for counter punching. I guess you could say that for everyone else in the division except Bog Nog when he's was at his best.

Of the rest Cormier's got the best speed and seems like he can throw some kinda combinations. He's got some really nice high kicks with impressive speed. The jury's still out on his power IMO.

The days of great HW strikers like Fedor, Crocop, & Igor are well behind us. Sadly the modern age of MMA will probably never see guys like that again. The 'superior' part of the MMA new breed don't quite add up to me, or to Matt Hume, or to Pat Militech, or to Eddie, or most here. All of those old schools guys where so technically superior on the feet to the new breed guys. One technically superior both on the feet and the ground... the others very well-rounded.

The highly evolved new breed fighter is a fallacy. There is almost zero 'great' striking & 'great' submission grappling going on these days in the UFC.

I guess we will find out , come UFC 160.
Realidea
Realidea

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 pm
I agree with Dag that they arent any real strikers in the HW division. but i dont consider Hunt to be a great striker either. But there still a lot of HW with better striking then DC

not in order

1. JDS

2. Hunt

3. AO

4. Cain

5. Miocic

6. Browne

7. Barry

8. imo Roy is better

7. i think hes tied with Werdum
KSW
KSW

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:58 pm
There are good HW strikers outside the UFC. Kharitonov, Graham, Gluhov, even Kudin and Smoldarev have better stand up than most fighters on the UFC roster.
wekka
wekka

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:43 pm
What exactly makes Cain better than Cormier? Volume?
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm
wekka wrote:What exactly makes Cain better than Cormier? Volume?
I think they are about the same, but I think Cormier may hit harder though. Also Werdum has come along way with his striking since his PRIDE days.
Realidea
Realidea

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm
wekka wrote:What exactly makes Cain better than Cormier? Volume?
Technique, better Kicks he's just more fluid with his striking. a lot of times DC hits the the other guy with the front of his hands instead of the knuckle. it has improved a lot but its still mid level imo
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum