GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War Wand !

+8
Apres Moi
rezin
Adax
brace
RussianTopTeam
Kinosis
Wolfman
Longtime Fan
12 posters
Go down
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

War Wand !  Empty War Wand !

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm
He might've looked a little slow vs Cung Le and definitely had me worried but what we can take from tonight's good performance was that Wandy utilized weapons he had been neglecting for awhile like kicks and especially knees !!!! Also I'm glad to see the fight last until the second round , not just because I got my money's worth but I believe Wand gained more confidence as the fight progressed.

Now let's just hope that the other two representatives of the old guard win their fights tonight (Shogun and Fedor)
Wolfman
Wolfman

War Wand !  Empty Re: War Wand !

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:07 pm
I must confess i thought Wand would get destroyed because of his last performances, but damn he just had that Pride spirit again.

Dispite his punches looking horrible as usual he was able to make it effective and those vicious knees he throwed were insane. No wonder people around here call him "mad dog"

Good thing he followed the gameplan too.

All i know is that now i believe he can still go on again.

War, Wand, Shogun and Fedor! Pride never dies!

War Wand !  3459843625
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 pm
Everywhere I looked especially tt and sherdog , the majority was saying that Cung Le would destroy this version of wand. I'm glad they were wrong. I won't be so quick as to say the old Wand is back for good. It tonight was a step in the right direction. I'll take it fight by fight and look closely at Wands strategies and performance.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 pm
Even if he's not back for good, at least we know he's not done.

Tonight he just added a new brutal and awesome KO to his record.

War Wand !  1503639786
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:50 pm
Good back and forth fight, interesting mix of styles. Maybe could have let it go on but Le got hurt pretty bad. Le came so close so many times just missing big kicks to the face by a fraction of an inch, both dropped each other. You could still see Wanderlei's chin is gone but if he fights smart he is usually okay.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:51 pm
I was really worried about those spinning backfists (and kicks to the face). Everyone I have seen go for a spinning backfist on Wand has hurt him with it (Liddell, Henderson, and now Le), for whatever reason he never sees them coming.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 am
thank you GOD for bringing us back VINTAGE PRIDE WAND, that shit was beautiful to watch....those DISGUSTING muay thai knee strikes and the cold blooded striking not GIVING A FUCK about Cung Le's leg kicks....

I have to say Wandy looked like he followed a game plan this time instead of running in like a pitbull and leaving an open invitation for his chin to be shattered, I'm extremely pleased and somewhat impressed by him being patient and fighting SMART.
brace
brace

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 am
Wanderlei finally threw a knee in the clinch. It took him about 3 years..

War Wand !  8-43
Adax

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:02 am
^^THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN THINKING FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS MAN!!! and it wasn't even a plum clinch like vintage Wandy it was just a gritty headlock, i was almost ready for his psycho squeeze face!
War Wand !  V6nkb5

honestly i was thinking about this fight a lot along the same lines as what Wolfman explained, you can see my predictions on TT i had Cung by third round ko/tko but i was gladly proven wrong and shown Wandy still has so fight in him! big smiles after this fight Very Happy

it was pretty funny when Cung axe kicked the "Axe Murderer" cheers those spinning techniques slowed Cung down waaaay too much. Wandy fought smarter too, played the game of styles and came out on top.

now it's time for Bellator to sign Cung Le so he can fight Shlemenko in a superfight after he beats Lombard for the championship!!
War Wand !  2640622375

War Wand !  2842603839
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 am
Oh well in conclusion 2/3 pride legends winning today is not bad at all !
rezin
rezin

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 am
^ Henderson is a Pride legend, so its 3/3. It could have been 4/3 if Hendo-Shogun was a draw.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:48 pm
overall the past 2 days has been a victory we've all been waiting for, our beloved Pride LEGENDS may have fallen at one point in time but its the fact that they got BACK UP and NEVER GAVE UP is what matters in the end bitches!
War Shogun HUAHHHH
War Hendo
War Wandy
War FEDYA
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm
WAR Wand, but Le fought a shitty game. R1 he was doing well keeping the distance. Good fight and I'm glad Wand got the W. Hope Le gets another chance. LE vs Aki would of been nice to bad for the weight drop.

Le has horrible boxing btw. Showed how 1 dimensional he really is. Can't blame him though as he started MMA late.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm
Apres Moi wrote:WAR Wand, but Le fought a shitty game. R1 he was doing well keeping the distance. Good fight and I'm glad Wand got the W. Hope Le gets another chance. LE vs Aki would of been nice to bad for the weight drop.

Le has horrible boxing btw. Showed how 1 dimensional he really is. Can't blame him though as he started MMA late.

Wand. in his prime would've destroyed Le in under a minute imo. Le's flashy stuff just won't work against a highly proficient muay thai fighter. He got Wand. to fall for some of his tricks, especially the spinning backfists, but once Wand had gotten him figured out there was no way out for him.

Le is an interesting fighter, and I enjoy watching him. It is pretty amazing the things he is able to do in an MMA fight. But there's just not any serious power in most of his shots (the exception being some of the spinning techniques and maybe his high kicks). He'll never be able to beat top level fighters imo. But certainly starting late and fighting intermittently couldn't have helped. Wand. busted the shit out of his nose, not sure how well that'll bode for his budding acting career.
brace
brace

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm
Le was slow as hell and even sloppier than Wanderlei if that's even possible. WTF, I'm a big Le fan but even I was

War Wand !  312411433
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:25 pm
Also, the speed of Wand's assault at the end was something vicious. Wand. basically destroyed his face in about 20 seconds. Couldn't believe Ho Rogan, Le was holding on to a leg for dear life and getting pummeled with hammer fists. Ho Rogan: "No. Bad stoppage. He was going for a takedown."
brace
brace

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:28 pm
Le needs tor etire and just make movies. I was calling for the flying scissors but that Le is gone forever..
brace
brace

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 pm
nodogoshi wrote:Also, the speed of Wand's assault at the end was something vicious. Wand. basically destroyed his face in about 20 seconds. Couldn't believe Ho Rogan, Le was holding on to a leg for dear life and getting pummeled with hammer fists. Ho Rogan: "No. Bad stoppage. He was going for a takedown."

I never realized how good UFC shows are until I got a stream with no sound. It was so great..
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 pm
Yea Rogan definitely came off as an opinionated stoner with that retort there at the end of the fight. Good stoppage IMO.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:35 pm
nodogoshi wrote:

Wand. in his prime would've destroyed Le in under a minute imo. Le's flashy stuff just won't work against a highly proficient muay thai fighter. He got Wand. to fall for some of his tricks, especially the spinning backfists, but once Wand had gotten him figured out there was no way out for him.

Any version of Wand would beat Le on paper/fight. I figured Le would attack from the outside. Though he seemed discourage after the brow cut. He also looked pretty gassed and out of shape. It's challenging to be a part time fighter with success esp at 39. Good fight
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:58 am
it was only a good stoppage after you saw what had happened to Le's face. Otherwise, i agree that it was an early stoppage cause those hammerfists were doing nothing.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 am
Dapperdoo wrote:it was only a good stoppage after you saw what had happened to Le's face. Otherwise, i agree that it was an early stoppage cause those hammerfists were doing nothing.

Well, clinging to a guy's leg and getting hit repeatedly isn't exactly intelligently defending yourself. And he was nowhere near takedown position, he was just hanging on. And as you sort of allude to, the damage which preceeded was certainly a strong consideration.

I thought it was a pretty textbook stoppage myself. Wand. unleashed a viscous assault, busted his face, had him severely hurt, and then had him in what was imo a position where he couldn't defend himself. Just my take on what I saw there though.
Adax

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 am
the fight wasn't going anywhere but downhill for Le, it's better that it was stopped early IMO because Wandy was out for nothing short of brutal violence that night.
brace
brace

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am
Props to Wanderlei for a taste of some unbridled old school vale tudo violence. They don't make them like that anymore.
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:54 am
The single technique that Wand threw that I noticed and liked the most was near the end where from the clinch he threw a very tricky , un-chambered front knee which hit Cung Le unexpectedly and really that was the deciding and virtual final blow IMO.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum