GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren Empty Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 pm
Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren, willing to help expedite a 'Funky' transition to UFC
By Jesse Holland @MMAmaniaNews on Aug 21, 2013

Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren 5578_crop_650.0_standard_709.0

Former two-time NCAA champion and U.S. Olympic wrestler, Ben Askren, is undefeated in his professional mixed martial arts (MMA) career, compiling a perfect 12-0 record with three submission wins and two recent back-to-back technical knockout (TKO) victories.

Bellator, which crowned him welterweight champion back in 2010, is not impressed.
That could explain why promotion CEO Bjorn Rebney is in no big hurry to re-sign the "Funky" 170 pounder, who became eligible to fight for competing promotions -- like Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) -- earlier this month at the conclusion of his current contract.
Rebney explains his position to ESPN.com:

"I don't think we're going to make an offer at this point, so I don't see any reason to make anybody sit out. If Ben's going to go to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can go fight. I'd love to see Ben versus GSP. If the UFC does make an offer, we'll take a look at it and move on from there. We haven't been proactive yet. I have nothing but good things to say about Ben as a fighter, but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does -- it's not for everyone."

In layman's terms that means, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
Naturally, this could be lip service in an attempt to downplay the promotion's poor public image when it comes to contract negotiations, which first came to light during the Eddie Alvarez debacle. Further complaints from Chris Weidman and Paul Daleyamong others, only made matters worse.

And there is no guarantee the same thing won't happen when the offers start trickling in for Askren.
That all depends on how much Viacom wants to stick it to ZUFFA after its falling out over the FOX deal (details). Unless, of course, they just don't like Askren's style, which has been criticized in the past for its heavy emphasis on wrestling and top position.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/21/4644038/bellator-not-interested-in-re-signing-ben-askren-ufc-mma
wekka
wekka

Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren Empty Re: Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm
I can actually understand this.

You could say there's no more money that can be made in Bellator's Welterweight division. You're already going to have a needless rematch with Lima in the winter and quite frankly, there's really no one else remaining for Ben to fight.

I see this as a reboot to freshen up 170.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren Empty Re: Bellator not interested in re-signing Ben Askren

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35 pm
Could be a bargaining ploy to make the UFC to give Askren a low-ball offer. Could also be that Viacom see Askren as a hard sell for ratings or PPV which is true. 

Askren will do big damage in the UFC if he goes there. I'm not so sure they'll let him near GSP. If they did I'm not sure he can stop GSP's shots or fight of his back. Not a good chance on the later. GSP would probably do the Koscheck jabbfest. Boy, wouldn't that be fun?

Askren is not in the best position anyway things go now.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35 pm
The writer is a piece of shit, as usual. He has to spin it, rather than just presenting data.

But, my own take, a lot of people want to see Askren-GSP. I'm all for it.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm
Dagwood wrote:Could be a bargaining ploy to make the UFC to give Askren a low-ball offer. Could also be that Viacom see Askren as a hard sell for ratings or PPV which is true. 

Askren will do big damage in the UFC if he goes there. I'm not so sure they'll let him near GSP. If they did I'm not sure he can stop GSP's shots or fight of his back. Not a good chance on the later. GSP would probably do the Koscheck jabbfest. Boy, wouldn't that be fun?

Askren is not in the best position anyway things go now.
GSP is a hell of a fighter, and he is rightly #1 in the world at 170. But, Askren is not Koscheck. Askren-GSP is an interesting fight, I think. GSP is also past his prime.
Adax

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:43 pm
Sad day when you see a winner get punished for winning too well.

There are better grapplers in the UFC for Askren to face but the majority of them couldn't prove through a 8 man tournament in my opinion.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:34 pm
To me I think bjorn isn't dumb he knows askren has expressed intrest in ufc and they him.
He isn't going to build this kid anymore for the ufc to snipe him LOL.

Mix in askren doesn't have really anyone to challenge him and would derail hype of more marketable fighters it seems smart to just say hey if your not here fir the long run go ahead.

Gsp vs askren would be fun but that won't happen for like 3 fights ufc wont make that til they have to.

I'm a big fan of askren I'd like to see him stay in bellator since that's who built him but ufc has its positives showing a bellator champ could run through a good portion of ufc.
fka
fka

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Nodogoshi is right..

The writers a dick LOL I read 2 other posts on this, its not that bellator doesn't want him or doesn't plan on trying to keep him its just that IF he expresses he wants to go to ufc they aren't going to stand in his way.

After Eddie Alvarez debacle they just aren't going to go through all that same BS.......don't blame them.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 pm
If he's going to the UFC, why old BFC backlog the division to help promote a future rival? Only makes sense.
MR.WILLIE

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 pm
they will see what zuffa offers first before they make a formal offer. but i think theyll match for sure
Dagwood
Dagwood

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 am
fka wrote:Nodogoshi is right..

The writers a dick LOL I read 2 other posts on this, its not that bellator doesn't want him or doesn't plan on trying to keep him its just that IF he expresses he wants to go to ufc they aren't going to stand in his way.

After Eddie Alvarez debacle they just aren't going to go through all that same BS.......don't blame them.
I think there's a whole lot more to it than than that. I think people are really talking about this - "but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does -- it's not for everyone." and what it really means.

"I don't think we're going to make an offer at this point, so I don't see any reason to make anybody sit out. If Ben's going to go to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can go fight. I'd love to see Ben versus GSP. If the UFC does make an offer, we'll take a look at it and move on from there. We haven't been proactive yet. I have nothing but good things to say about Ben as a fighter, but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does -- it's not for everyone." - Bjorn Rebney

nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 am
Dagwood wrote:
fka wrote:Nodogoshi is right..

I think there's a whole lot more to it than than that. I think people are really talking about this - "but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does -- it's not for everyone." and what it really means.

"I don't think we're going to make an offer at this point, so I don't see any reason to make anybody sit out. If Ben's going to go to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can go fight. I'd love to see Ben versus GSP. If the UFC does make an offer, we'll take a look at it and move on from there. We haven't been proactive yet. I have nothing but good things to say about Ben as a fighter, but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does -- it's not for everyone." - Bjorn Rebney

It is just business sense though, isn't it? I agree, that Bellator is likely thinking of moving away from Askren. But, the fact that he now has a period to negotiate with Zuffa, it sort of seems like Bellator is just saying they won't be matching any pricy offers. I think it is not necessarily that they want him gone, but they aren't going to shell out much cash to keep him around.

I hope he goes to Zuffa and fights GSP. That's my honest feeling.

And that fight is probably worth more than any fights he can have in Bellator.
fka
fka

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm
^^ pretty much what I was meaning

Bens style IS for everyone his last 2 have been finishes I wasn't initially a funky fan but watching his progression is wonderful.I hope he stays in bellator
Long enough to be fully rounded stand-up wise cuz I feel straight to ufc they will throw him bad matchups to discredit bellators champs.

Tho I still feel he would beat ALOT of ufc wws
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum