GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced Empty UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm
Source: MMAJunkie

UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced 0

A light-heavyweight bout between Mauricio Rua (21-8 MMA, 5-6 UFC) and James Te Huna (16-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is the latest addition to December's UFC Fight Night 33 lineup.

UFC officials today confirmed the matchup with MMAjunkie.com. The bout was first reported by dailytelegraph.com.au.

UFC Fight Night 33 takes place Dec. 7 in the Queensland capital at Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Broadcast plans haven't been announced, but the event is expected to air on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on Facebook. Due to the time difference, the event takes place Saturday, Dec. 7, in Australia (but Friday, Dec. 6, in the U.S.).

"Shogun" and Te Huna co-headline the show, which also features heavyweights Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva in the headliner.

Rua, who's ranked No. 9 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings, looks to rebound from a quick submission loss to Chael Sonnen in UFC Fight Night 26's main event. The former champ has now lost two straight and three of his past four, which included defeats to notables Alexander Gustafsson and Dan Henderson. Despite the setbacks, the 31-year-old recently said he wasn't considering retirement.

Te Huna, meanwhile, was on a four-fight winning streak before a submission loss to Glover Teixeira in May at UFC 160. A New Zealander who now fights of Australia, the 31-year-old had posted consecutive victories over Ricardo Romero, Aaron Rosa, Joey Beltran and Ryan Jimmo before the Teixeira setback.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Last edited by Sweet Pea Is My Mom on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced Empty Re: UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 pm
I almost feel sad for Shogun now...I mean, wow...

It's almost surreal to see arguably the second-best P4P fighter once upon a time fight the James Te Huna-s of this world on small UFC shows where they have to give away comps to fill an 8K capacity arena...

Well, the writing was always on the wall for this decline. Even Freddie Roach said Shogun has "no knees" & he "punches like a girl."
wekka
wekka

UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced Empty Re: UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 pm
What's even sadder is that Te Huna actually has a good chance at winning.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm
wekka wrote:What's even sadder is that Te Huna actually has a good chance at winning.
Really though, the bookies will probably have this as an even fight. Very sad.
Adax

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm
Shogun needs robot knees UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced 2258216839 
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 pm
Freddie Roach in mma = absolutely nothing I've yet to see an mma fighter really pick anything up from him at all.

I agree wow tehuna? Should be good but how the mighty have fallen ....

If shogun loses he should retire if he can't beat the slightly evolved drew mcfedries/Houston Alexanders what's really left for him?
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:00 pm
fka wrote:Freddie Roach in mma = absolutely nothing I've yet to see an mma fighter really pick anything up from him at all.
Most guys really weren't good enough to benefit - Tito, Anderson, Shogun (although he never got a chance to show it). The only great athlete he hooked up with was GSP, and GSP did show off quite a stellar jab in his next fight (Koscheck rematch).

I agree with you, though: if he doesn't beat Tuna, it's over for him.
fka
fka

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 pm
Gsp jabbed koscheck to death I agree but coulda done it without roach,koscheck is a horrible boxer to begin with ask lawler LOL.

Gsp has also got worked by Jake shields yeah gsp won but you couldn't tell looking at faces at the end LOL.

All the guys Roach has worked with and really nothing to show for it.

I don't buy they weren't good enough to learn as mediocre mma fighters switch camps and you can usually atleast see a difference in timing or technique or combos used other then a jab wtf does he offer?
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 pm
fka wrote:Gsp has also got worked by Jake shields yeah gsp won but you couldn't tell looking at faces at the end LOL
scratch 

GSP won 4 rounds, lol. The damage was from Shields poking him in the eye. I am NOT a GSP fan, but he absolutely did not get "worked" by Jake Shields. UFN 33: 'Shogun' Rua-James Te Huna Announced 3973136183 
fka
fka

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 pm
Dude I'm not talking about a red eye he was swole up after and I don't think shields won just that gsp boxing is and was unaffected by Roach as was anyone he has worked with in mma.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:55 pm
fka wrote:Dude I'm not talking about a red eye he was swole up after and I don't think shields won just that gsp boxing is and was unaffected by Roach as was anyone he has worked with in mma.
His jab was working just like it was in the Koscheck fight until the poke. I think Roach did hone a valuable tool there for GSP, and I'm NOT a Roach or GSP fan. However, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyone think there's a chance Shogun gets KO'd here?
fka
fka

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 pm
If shogun gets antsy leaps in with his bullrush flurry tehuna has the power to ko him.

I know James likes to work the body so that could leave him vulnerable to a short hook but honestly I just don't know.

Its honestly hard to say in the last fight if shogun was bad or if chael was that good.I think chael wrestling and subgame got overlooked by rua.

In this fight if shogun would come out early with the leg and body kicks would open up his hands more and he could gas and finish tehuna I hope he does.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:29 pm
It isn't Freddie's fault. It's the fighters. Their striking just isn't as good as a seasoned boxers who train it at all times. What do you expect? For a fighter to suddenly become a very good boxer by training with Roach a few times?
KSW
KSW

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:51 am
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:
fka wrote:Dude I'm not talking about a red eye he was swole up after and I don't think shields won just that gsp boxing is and was unaffected by Roach as was anyone he has worked with in mma.
His jab was working just like it was in the Koscheck fight until the poke. I think Roach did hone a valuable tool there for GSP, and I'm NOT a Roach or GSP fan. However, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyone think there's a chance Shogun gets KO'd here?
He´s not Shogun anymore so there´s definietly a risk of him getting T(KO)ed.
KSW
KSW

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 am
Shogun deserves to fight at the big show at the end of his career. I want to see him against Blachowicz for the KSW LHW title with PRIDE style hype and entrance. Then he could defend against Khalidov in a sold out arena.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum