GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion)

+8
Dagwood
Realidea
adam
Adax
Rocksoldier84
CDF47
TeamJohnPerretti
MR.WILLIE
12 posters
Go down
MR.WILLIE

Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion) Empty Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm
Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion) Bellat10

April 4, 2014  | Reno Events Center   | Reno, Nevada

MAIN CARD (9 p.m. ET)

Vitaly Minakov  vs.  Cheick Kongo for heavyweight title
Justin Baesman vs. Herman Terrado
Kelly Anundson vs. Volkan Oezdemir
Johnny Cisneros vs. Mikkel Parlo

PRELIMINARY CARD

Rick Reeves vs. James Terry
Josh Appelt vs. Freddie Aquitania
Jason Powell vs. Sinjen Smith
Benito Lopez vs. Oscar Ramirez

Last edited by KSW on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:43 am; edited 5 times in total
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion) Empty Re: Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion)

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 am
nice
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion) Empty Re: Bellator 115: Minakov vs Kongo (Official Discussion)

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 pm
Vitaly TKO GNP round 2
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:18 pm
I love these recent Bellator posters. They're really cool and epic in some cases.

Wow. Nevada. They're going into the Lion's Den and I don't mean Ken Shamrock. Nice to see Bellator showing Nevada how an MMA show goes.
Adax

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:28 pm
I hope Nevada judges won't be biased for ex-Zuffa fighters.
MR.WILLIE

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 pm
The second semifinal takes place a week later, April 4, with Doug Marshall (18-7 MMA, 4-1 BMMA) vs. Dan Cramer (10-4 MMA, 7-2 BMMA) at Bellator 115.
Mmajunkie.com
MR.WILLIE

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm
A failed drug test will keep Doug Marshall out of action next month. | Keith Mills/Sherdog.com

Former title contender Doug Marshall has been pulled from Bellator MMA’s Season 10 middleweight tournament.

Marshall was slated to meet Dan Cramer in a semifinal matchup as part of the main card of Bellator 115, which takes place April 5 at the Reno Event Center in Reno, Nev.

After earning a title shot by winning the company’s eighth-season tourney at 185 pounds, Marshall was suspended in December by the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission when he tested positive for a banned substance in his losing bid against champion Alexander Shlemenko. According to a Wednesday release from Bellator, Marshall was removed from his bout with Cramer “after having his suspension from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission extended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.”

Cramer will instead face Jeremy Kimball in the tournament’s opening round.

Bellator officials also announced the rest of the April 5 bill, which is headlined by a heavyweight title fight between defending champ Vitaly Minakov and former UFC talent Cheick Kongo. Also set for the main card is a welterweight tournament semifinal between Andrey Koreshkov and Sam Oropeza, both of whom secured their spots with emphatic knockout wins in March 14 quarterfinal bouts. Rounding out the televised broadcast will be a non-tournament middleweight tilt pitting Denmark’s Mikkel Parlo against King of the Cage veteran Johnny Cisneros.

The undercard, which streams live online, is topped by a light heavyweight match between talented grappler Kelly Anundson and unbeaten Swiss import Volkan Oezdemir. In a pair of welterweight bouts, Herman Terrado faces Justin Baesman, while James Terry takes on Rick Reeves. The preliminary card is rounded out by heavyweights Freddie Aquitania and Josh Appelt, lightweights Jason Powell and Sinjen Smith, and flyweights Oscar Ramirez and Benito Lopez.
MR.WILLIE

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm
Koreshkov vs oropeza is a great fight
MR.WILLIE

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm
Vitaly Minakov has finished his last 10 opponents. | Photo: Keith Mills/Sherdog.com

Bellator MMA returns to Spike TV on Friday with a heavyweight title main event.

Vitaly Minakov will put his championship on the line to close out Bellator 115, which takes place at the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nev. Bellator’s debut in the Silver State also marks Minakov’s first defense of his heavyweight belt -- a crown he snatched from countryman Alexander Volkov in November.

While Minakov’s name will likely fail to attract any new or casual fans, the Russian’s abilities should not be questioned. The undefeated heavyweight is a four-time world champion in sambo and has scored 12 of his 13 MMA victories by either knockout or submission. Minakov has yet to go the distance in his four-fight Bellator career and has shown the ability to both finish opponents quickly and tread into deeper waters when he must, as he did in his third-round knockout of Ryan Martinez in the 2013 Summer Series final. Now, the 29-year-old will lock horns with Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Cheick Kongo, who rides back-to-back victories into his title shot. I, for one, am interested to see if Minakov can either catch Kongo standing or drag the massive Frenchman to the mat to exploit him off his back.

Minakov’s first title defense is but one reason to tune in. Here is what else to watch for at Bellator 115:

KING KONGO

Kongo stands just a victory away from claiming the Bellator heavyweight title, and I think the Frenchman has a good shot at hoisting the gold to close the show.

Since joining Bellator, Kongo has done a fine job of pacing himself and picking his shots while managing to avoid the type of drawn-out clinch-fests that resulted from his UFC meetings with Matt Mitrione and Shawn Jordan. Kongo has used his physical tools aptly. He is, after all, a monster compared to the majority of Bellator’s heavyweight roster. While the division is no doubt growing both in terms of size and quality, Kongo is -- for the time being, anyway -- near the top of the list in both categories when compared to most of his peers.

With that said, Kongo’s career is likely winding down, and it is unclear how many more years he will be able to compete at a high level. Certain fighters in this sport have competed successfully into their 40s, but that is a short list of exceptional guys. At 38, this might be Kongo’s last and only chance to win a world title.

Photo: K. Mills/Sherdog.com

Koreshkov is 15-1.
SPARTAN’S RACE

Andrey Koreshkov’s Bellator future got a whole lot brighter with the departure of Ben Askren.

This is true, of course, for every other Bellator welterweight, but Koreshkov is of particular interest because I think he has the ability to ruin anybody in the division with his striking. Douglas Lima and Rick Hawn are both clearly worthy of contending for the vacant title, but would you count out Koreshkov in a fight with either one of them? I most certainly would not.

With a 41-second knockout of UFC veteran Nah-Shon Burrell, “Spartan” rebounded from the walloping he took from Askren. However, such a finish really does not tell us all that much about the issues that plagued him against “Funky” -- namely, his wrestling defense and endurance. While Koreshkov must no longer worry about facing a fighter anyone even remotely as good as Askren in the wrestling department, I am nevertheless concerned that someone -- perhaps Hawn or Lima -- might close the gap and put Koreshkov on his back in a similar manner.

I do not know if Sam Oropeza is the man for the job, but he was definitely impressive in his quarterfinal appearance, hunting down Cristiano Souza with a violent right hand and then putting him away with some nasty ground-and-pound. I think fans are in store for quite the exciting result in this one. It is not to be missed.

MIDDLEWEIGHT MASHUP

Bellator 115 will also feature a pair of interesting middleweight matchups, one of which will decide the second Season 10 finalist when the unorthodox Jeremy Kimball takes on UFC alum Dan Cramer.

Cramer has fought the better competition of the two, though both fighters will step into this four-man draw on the heels of defeat. While “Cosmo” was turned away by current finalist Brett Cooper in the Season 8 bracket, Kimball saw his Season 9 tournament hopes dashed by Perry Filkins in a submission loss in September.

Just prior to Cramer’s clash with Kimball, Season 9 finalist Mikkel Parlo will try to rebound from his loss to Brennan Ward against King of the Cage vet Johnny Cisneros. Still just 23 years old, Parlo is an aggressive talent who should have a bright future with the Viacom-owned organization, provided he continues to improve.

I would not be surprised if a victory earned the Dane a spot in Bellator’s next middleweight draw. Can Parlo get the job done?

Sherdog.com
MR.WILLIE

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 pm
In a major shakeup just prior to Thursday’s officials weigh-ins for Bellator 115, both tournament semifinal fights on the main card have been scrapped.

The welterweight tournament semifinal bout between Andrey Koreshkov (15-1 MMA, 7-1 BMMA) and Sam Oropeza (11-2 MMA, 3-1 BMMA) has been removed from the card due to Koreshkov suffering from the flu.

And Jeremy Kimball (10-4 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) was off weight enough prior to the official weigh-in event that his middleweight tourney semifinal fight with Dan Cramer (10-4 MMA, 7-2 BMMA) was cut from the event, as well.

Bellator officials announced the news Thursday night and said Koreshkov and Oropeza will be rescheduled to another event. No word was given on the status of the Kimball-Cramer fight, however.

“Bellator 115: Minakov vs. Kongo” takes place Friday at Reno Events Center in Nevada. The main card airs on Spike TV at 9 p.m. ET, with preliminary bouts streaming on Spike.com at 7 p.m. ET.

With the changes, the new Bellator 115 card includes:

MAIN CARD (Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET)

Vitaly Minakov vs. Cheick Kongo – for heavyweight title
Justin Baesman vs. Herman Terrado
Kelly Anundson vs. Volkan Oezdemir
Johnny Cisneros vs. Mikkel Parlo
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com, 7 p.m. ET)

Rick Reeves vs. James Terry
Josh Appelt vs. Freddie Aquitania
Jason Powell vs. Sinjen Smith
Benito Lopez vs. Oscar Ramirez
Mmajunkie.com
adam
adam

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 pm
Action packed main and co main!

Wahoo can't wait! War Minakov and Koreshkov! Haha!
Realidea
Realidea

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 pm
adam wrote:Action packed main and co main!

Wahoo can't wait! War Minakov and Koreshkov!  Haha!
Koreshkov fight has been canceled/ He got the flu and couldn't make weight. MW fight between Cramer/Kimball also cancelled because Kiimball didn't make weight
adam
adam

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:12 pm
Awh, man. That is terrible!
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 am
Realidea wrote:
adam wrote:Action packed main and co main!

Wahoo can't wait! War Minakov and Koreshkov!  Haha!
Koreshkov fight has been canceled/ He got the flu and couldn't make weight. MW fight between Cramer/Kimball also cancelled because Kiimball didn't make weight

Man... to bad he didn't have explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting like Sergei had before his fight with Barnett. He could have taken of 20lbs just like that.  What a Face 
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:48 am
Damn, this card suffered a big blow. I'll still watch but these turn of events suck.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 pm
Minakov needs some cardio work fir sure.

Pretty interesting fight not bad showing for either Guy.

Kongos chin held decently and he was able to grapple with minakov pretty well getting a surprising number of takedowns.

As far as Cain vs vitaly It was confirmed for me atleast that Cain would run through vitaly.
doubledx2c

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:37 pm
Vitaly could easily catch Cain in the first round, but I think if the fight persisted he'd completely gas by the third round. Cain has tightened his defense up recently, so it's not like he'd fight the same way he did when Kongo dropped him three times.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:42 pm
Dean had done again not gave point deduction to kongo when kongo grabbing short 5time.
fka
fka

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 am
For me if Kongo can get you down and reverse positions on vitaly Cain could do so for sure.

Vitaly could possibly jds Cain but even jds superior boxing has nothing to offer Cain we've seen it.

I hope blagoi wins tourney him vs vitaly will be really fun.
sparkuri
sparkuri

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:18 am
I never put Minakov on Cain's level, but I think when the UFC has a champion, they breed them with the finest of acai berries.
I think he's young and needs work.
Nobody has Cains level of cardio, but that shouldn't be what it's about either. I honestly don't get up for a Cain fight. He doesn't do anything for me.
He just reminds me of an erect penis rubbing on the inside of your jeans all day. beep
Dagwood
Dagwood

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:19 am
Minakov could have finished him twice when he had him dazed early but I don't think he knew Kongo was hurt.

Herb Dean gave Kongo a free time out from Vitaly pressure him against the cage cause Vitaly had no clue what was going on. Herb should have just said "fight"! That was pretty ridiculous.

As far as the grappling goes Vitaly completely dominated everywhere until he started to gas in the second or third. He was toast for anything during the rest of the fight. You can get good cardio in under a year training properly. You cannot get Minakov's athleticism, grappling skills, or power on the feet in that same time period. Hopefully he does that.

Minakov does not stay in the US and train here. His wife & kids are back home in an 8 or 10 hrs earlier time zone. He's been coming to the US earlier in the week of the fight which I'm sure isn't optimum for athletic performance, cardio, etc.

Kongo had nothing for him at all before Vitaly gassed in the 3rd round. Nothing. Well except for Herb Dean that is. What a joke he is becoming (never though I'd say that). GTFO point deduction for an unintentional shot in a transition. Kongo's TD's were when Vitaly was exhausted. When Kongo had his legs tied together against the fence I think Minakov was trying rest sucking in big breathes of air.

How about the sick under over reversal straight into side guard then to mount! Sure Kongo's grappling was as good.  Rolling Eyes
Dagwood
Dagwood

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:18 am
fka wrote:For me if Kongo can get you down and reverse positions on vitaly Cain could do so for sure.

Vitaly could possibly jds Cain but even jds superior boxing has nothing to offer Cain we've seen it.

I hope blagoi wins tourney him vs vitaly will be really fun.

Well I think your exposing Cain here cause Kongo was able to reverse position 2 times on Cain, take him down, stand up from under him 4 times... & knock Cain down 2 times.

Cain didn't even land a full power standing shot to Kongo. Vital had him wobbly twice when they were both fresh early and the second was only a short shot. Kongo did't even land a good punch on Vitaly unlike how he tagged Cain good a number of times in their very limited time standing almost KO'ing him twice.

Cardio is the only really big advantage at this point Cain has over Minakov. They both have different strengths but take away cardio which anyone can acquire and you got a pretty competitive match. Hopefully Vitaly knows what he needs to focus on and can somehow have a much longer time to acclimate to fights here than just a few days.

At this point Vitaly is in the top 10HW's in the UFC in my book. The top half in fact. Guys like Browne or Werdum would have their hands full with him right now 3 rounds. You watch this kid, he's going places.

fka
fka

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 pm
Well I think your exposing Cain here cause Kongo was able to reverse position 2 times on Cain, take him down, stand up from under him 4 times... & knock Cain down 2 times.

Lmao u realise Kongo was Cains 6th mma fight right?

That was half his career ago the Cain that is now would beat Kongo and his old self in the same night in 1 round.

Facts are vitaly has bad cardio Cain has the best cardio in hw in all mma.

He can take shots from jds and drop guys with one shot.

Kongo fight he was still learning stand-up.

Kongo was able to gas vitaly with grappling in under 2 rounds a.d that's with breaks for nutshots.

Cain would absolutely break vitaly with grappling and finish with gnp in 2 round.

Kongo has NO transitional ground game he was able to get easy takedown after takedown had it been Cain he woulda been mounted and done.

And kongos takedowns aren't timed its just strength Cain has some of the best timing and level changing in the game vitaly would be on the ground as quick as Bigfoot Silva.

Also since Kongo fight Cain became a bjj blackbelt.

Vitaly is a great prospect but he still has gaping holes in his game.
fka
fka

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:54 pm
And bringing up vitalys size matters not Cain threw lesnar around easily.

I like vitaly don't get me wrong but he along with the rest of the hws are a class below Cain.

This is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of Cain up until around the Kongo fight.

You can see every one of his fights he learns and implements better gsmeplan next time out and his technique standing and grappling improves always.

He can push bantamweights pace for 5 rounds no other hws can do that.

There's just no denying Cain is the best fighter there's just no argument there at all.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:40 pm

If Minakov and Cain were to fight each other, I would bet on Minakov.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum