GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Nights Global 50 : Fedor vs. Maldonado - June 17 (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)

+13
Adax
CODELMJVG
Rizin=PRIDEFC
TeamJohnPerretti
stu3ufc
cisco
FreeWarMachine
m1challengefan
CDF47
God of Thunder
Kinosis
fka
Kingfedor
17 posters
Go down
Kinosis
Kinosis

Fight Nights Global 50 : Fedor vs. Maldonado - June 17 (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION) - Page 5 Empty Re: Fight Nights Global 50 : Fedor vs. Maldonado - June 17 (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:32 am
^Very possible. But Maldonado has a history of that kind of thing anyway. He sits against the cage taking punches while looking for a counter hook pretty often from the handful of his fights I have watched.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fight Nights Global 50 : Fedor vs. Maldonado - June 17 (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION) - Page 5 Empty Re: Fight Nights Global 50 : Fedor vs. Maldonado - June 17 (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:58 am
warrior23 wrote:
Kinosis wrote:By the way, Ariel Helwani is claiming Fedor got a hometown decision because the judges are corrupt.  The people on his page are saying Maldonado was paid off to not finish Fedor.  

Not that they care about logic but Maldonado, if he was paid off, wouldn't have tried to KO and finish Fedor in the first round.  He would have just went down on those flurries.  Second, if they are trying to claim in the 1 minute after the first round that someone came up to them and said "don't finish him, here is some money" that is just stupid as everyone would be able to see someone approach their corner and there is 0 proof.  And Maldonado was still trying to KO Fedor with a counter.  

Not to mention, Fedor isn't even contracted with this company after this 1 fight so why would they pay anyone off?  I wonder, do they claim the ufc paid off Carwin when he almost KO'd Lesnar in the first round and then came out and did nothing in the second?  Did any of them stop and think that Maldonado blew his wad, just like Carwin did?  Of course not, it's Fedor, not Lesnar, so special conspiracies are made up.

I agree with the decision, I had it
R1: 10-9 Maldonado
R2: 10-9 Fedor
R3: 10-9 Fedor

If someone had round 1 10-8 Maldonado, it would be a draw for him but Fedor had flurries on him and landed some good strikes himself.  Fedor actually won pretty much the whole fight except for 2-3 minutes (I didn't time it) in the 1st round when he was in huge trouble.

I agree..i thought Fabio maybe hurt his hand somewhere and thats why he stopped being fully active.

Maldanado punched himself out going for the finish.

I think Fedor also punched himself out in the first round.

I've seen it in boxing, where a guy gets his man really hurt and throws a million punches, and punches himself out.

In boxing its generally not recommended to throw too many punches, no matter how hurt your guy. The reasons are you can get caught with a counter (see Fedor-Maldanado) or else you'll punch yourself out if you don't get your guy out (see Fedor-Maldanado).
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:25 pm
Boxing against a good boxer like Maldonado is typical Fedor. I still see Fedor as a retired fighter so props for putting up a fight. I´m sure Fedor could have subbed Maldonado early on if he wanted to but he likes to beat the opponent at his strenght.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm
God of Thunder wrote:Boxing against a good boxer like Maldonado is typical Fedor. I still see Fedor as a retired fighter so props for putting up a fight. I´m sure Fedor could have subbed Maldonado early on if he wanted to but he likes to beat the opponent at his strenght.

Fedor is no longer a retired fighter. He is an active fighter.

He retired before because he had nobody to fight. He could have carried on fighting meaningless opponents and getting paid, but Fedor has too much dignity to do something like that.

Fedor is the real deal. He's a real hardcore guy, who would be the king of a mountain if we were living in the ice age.

Guys like Fedor are very rare now days.

Fedor just fought on UFC Fight Pass, against a 'UFC veteran'. Rumors are the UFC is up for sale, change is in the air.

Fedor is staking his claim as a contender for world MMA supremacy again.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:43 pm
Ok so i finally watched the full fight.i watched highlights before but they did no justice at all.

So here are my thoughts......

Fedor DEFINITELY won that fight and the first round was a 10-9 not 10-8 fedor was definitely hurt but never went limp or stopped trying to improve position or block and dodge punches.Also before the counter that hurt him he flurried and hurt maldonado and landed occasional jabs and straights.

Round 2&3 fedor won 10-9

There were spots once fedor stood backup weeble wobbling i thought it was close to stoppage but fedor endured.

Fedor threw a handful of kicks and kneese.......he should have exploited maldonados weak kick defense i bet he coukd have finished maldonado had he varied his attack more.

Fedors jab looked good and footwork it was just a crazy plan to stay in boxing range majority if fight with low kick volume and zero takedown attempts.

He looked good despite early adversity and limited gameplan...,..if he decides to continue i hope he goes to holland and chooses to use all his tools.

This fight was a tuneup in that he used it to gauge his hand speed and boxing......kinda backfired a bit but i truly hope that's the explanation for limited gamelan because i honestly think he could sub maldonado.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm
Kinosis wrote:^It's weird, because for his Rizin fight he went to Holland to train for a month or more and when in Russia he had some top guys come help him train like Minakov.  For this camp he stayed home and basically trained with his students from the videos I saw.  I never saw any footage with Minakov or any other high level guys anyway.  

I'm starting to think he just took this fight lightly and paid the price for that.  Plus Maldonado was better than normal because he was openly on PEDs and had more weight.  I hope Fedor gets back on his weight lifting program he was doing for NYE and at least brings in Minakov to help him train.  He needs someone on a level beyond his students to help him.

That is a good point that he may have taken this fight too lightly.  Hope he trains harder and smarter than ever for his future fights prior to retirement.

Last edited by CDF47 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:09 pm
Kinosis wrote:By the way, Ariel Helwani is claiming Fedor got a hometown decision because the judges are corrupt.  The people on his page are saying Maldonado was paid off to not finish Fedor.  

Not that they care about logic but Maldonado, if he was paid off, wouldn't have tried to KO and finish Fedor in the first round.  He would have just went down on those flurries.  Second, if they are trying to claim in the 1 minute after the first round that someone came up to them and said "don't finish him, here is some money" that is just stupid as everyone would be able to see someone approach their corner and there is 0 proof.  And Maldonado was still trying to KO Fedor with a counter.  

Not to mention, Fedor isn't even contracted with this company after this 1 fight so why would they pay anyone off?  I wonder, do they claim the ufc paid off Carwin when he almost KO'd Lesnar in the first round and then came out and did nothing in the second?  Did any of them stop and think that Maldonado blew his wad, just like Carwin did?  Of course not, it's Fedor, not Lesnar, so special conspiracies are made up.

I agree with the decision, I had it
R1: 10-9 Maldonado
R2: 10-9 Fedor
R3: 10-9 Fedor

If someone had round 1 10-8 Maldonado, it would be a draw for him but Fedor had flurries on him and landed some good strikes himself.  Fedor actually won pretty much the whole fight except for 2-3 minutes (I didn't time it) in the 1st round when he was in huge trouble.

I saw that from Helwani and I disagree with him. I saw the fight as a draw since I had 10-8 first round for Maldonado and the last two rounds for Fedor.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:10 pm
Kinosis wrote:^Very possible.  But Maldonado has a history of that kind of thing anyway.  He sits against the cage taking punches while looking for a counter hook pretty often from the handful of his fights I have watched.

You're right, he does that quite a bit in a lot of his fights. Plus both were fatigued going into the second.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:12 pm
God of Thunder wrote:Boxing against a good boxer like Maldonado is typical Fedor. I still see Fedor as a retired fighter so props for putting up a fight. I´m sure Fedor could have subbed Maldonado early on if he wanted to but he likes to beat the opponent at his strenght.

He does do that. I was hoping going into this one, he would just take Fabio down and GNP and go for subs.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:05 pm
CDF47 wrote:

He does do that.  I was hoping going into this one, he would just take Fabio down and GNP and go for subs.

Yeah, me too. And he did do that against Jaideep. People want to make fun of the guy but he is dangerous on the feet and did KO Kharitonov. Fedor stood with him a bit and when he saw he wasn't going to be KO'd instantly he took him down and beat on him. That was just 6 months ago but for some reason he didn't do that this time, even after almost being KO'd in the first round. Maldonado has shown before he is not impossible to takedown and he eats a lot of punches on the ground. After the first flurry didn't work, his coaches should have been calling for a takedown off of the flurry. Perhaps he just wasn't thinking right after being hurt so bad. Who knows.
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm
In round 1 before Maldonado had his few minutes of glory, Fedor cut his face open with punches. Then , when Fabio counter punched Fedor with his right, that wasn't this big instant knockdown blow, what brought Fedor down was gravity and his own imbalanced weight after throwing a wide haymaker that missed. A lot of maldonados gnp flurry looked like it was doing more damage than they really did and even Fedor said that in an interview.

So in the end, it looked worse than it was. Fedor was given the benefit of the doubt, the fight wasn't stopped and rightfully so. I'm one that thinks that the hendo fight would have gone different if they let it continue and Fedor himself said he wasn't finished yet. He is so classy that he didn't want to make a fuss about the premature stoppage. He is above that immaturity. His mindset is "let it be so".
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:37 pm
^The Hendo fight should have been stopped...to take a point from Hendo for multiple strikes blatantly to the back of the head. He was punching Fedor in the back of the neck as hard as he could multiple times and Fedor still turned around and stood up immediately.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 pm
Kinosis wrote:
CDF47 wrote:

He does do that.  I was hoping going into this one, he would just take Fabio down and GNP and go for subs.

Yeah, me too.  And he did do that against Jaideep.  People want to make fun of the guy but he is dangerous on the feet and did KO Kharitonov.  Fedor stood with him a bit and when he saw he wasn't going to be KO'd instantly he took him down and beat on him.  That was just 6 months ago but for some reason he didn't do that this time, even after almost being KO'd in the first round.  Maldonado has shown before he is not impossible to takedown and he eats a lot of punches on the ground.  After the first flurry didn't work, his coaches should have been calling for a takedown off of the flurry.  Perhaps he just wasn't thinking right after being hurt so bad.  Who knows.  

That could be too. He took some big shots. Would have thought in the second round at he could have tried for that, unless he was feeling too tired to try for the take down.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:22 pm
Longtime Fan wrote:In round 1 before Maldonado had his few minutes of glory, Fedor cut his face open with punches. Then , when Fabio counter punched Fedor with his right, that wasn't this big instant knockdown blow, what brought Fedor down was gravity and his own imbalanced weight after throwing a wide haymaker that missed.  A lot of maldonados gnp flurry looked like it was doing more damage than they really did and even Fedor said that in an interview.

So in the end, it looked worse than it was. Fedor was given the benefit of the doubt, the fight wasn't stopped and rightfully so. I'm one that thinks that the hendo fight would have gone different if they let it continue and Fedor himself said he wasn't finished yet. He is so classy that he didn't want to make a fuss about the premature stoppage. He is above that immaturity. His mindset is "let it be so".

That Hendo fight could have ended differently for sure. That's why I want to see that rematch so bad. I think Fedor would take out BF in a rematch as well.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum