GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Bellator broadcaster Sean Wheelock hosts August referee, judging seminar in Kansas Empty Bellator broadcaster Sean Wheelock hosts August referee, judging seminar in Kansas

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 pm
Bellator broadcaster Sean Wheelock, also an active pro boxing referee with more than 250 bouts worth of experience under his belt, is hosting an Association of Boxing Commissions-approved referee and judging seminar for both current and aspiring officials.

Led by instructor Rob Hinds, who boasts more than 4,800 bouts worth of experience as a referee and judge, the sessions take place Aug. 4-5 in the Kansas City suburb of Overland Park, Kan.

"I'm really pleased and appreciative that both the ABC and the Kansas Athletic Commission have given their support to this training seminar," Wheelock told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Everyone of us who works in and loves MMA wants to see our sport continue to grow and develop, and focusing on improving and refining refereeing and judging definitely adds to this."

The seminar – which Wheelocks promises will include video review, lectures, Q&A sessions, discussion and practical application – takes place at the Overland Park Convention Center in Overland Park, Kan.

Both current and aspiring officials are invited to attend and can earn an ABC-recognized certificate of completion following a testing session at the end of the training sessions. Refereeing is the focus on the first day of the seminar, while judging technique will be covered during the second.

Wheelock said that in addition to hosting the seminar, he'll also be attending both days' sessions.

"I'm always working to improve as an commentator, and having a deeper understanding of judging and refereeing will definitely add to my Bellator broadcasts," Wheelock said. "I'll be hosting this seminar, and I'll also be taking the courses."

Enrollment in the referee seminar costs $300 while the judging session is $250. Or, interested participants can take part in both sessions for a discounted price of $400. Prices go up by $50 after July 27.

Wheelock said five ABC commissioners have already committed to attend, and MMA veterans Rudy Bears, Jason High, James Krause and David Rickels will be on hand to demonstrate techniques.

"I really encourage everyone who has ever considered working as an MMA judge or ref to come to Kansas City and take this training seminar," Wheelock said. "Whether they are a fighter or a trainer or a gym owner or a hard core fan, I want them to come and get this top-level ABC-approved training from Rob Hinds.

"As MMA continues to explode, it's pretty clear that there is the real need for more high-level refs and judges. We have some amazing people filling these roles now, but we also need to develop the next generation of refs and judges, just like is being done with fighters and trainers."

For more information or to register online, visit RulesofMMA.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29188/bellator-broadcaster-sean-wheelock-hosts-august-referee-judging-seminar-in-kansas.mma
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum