GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE  Empty Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm
Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE  Mma_e_10

Sergei Kharitonov wants to fight in both the kickboxing GP tournament and in one MMA fight at GLORY/DREAM.18 on NYE. GLORY management is considering it.

Also, the combined kickboxing and MMA events; like the upcoming NYE card, may be a once per year type show on NYE in the future where GLORY kickboxing and DREAM MMA will be kept separate throughout the year.

GLORY is also in the final stages of a U.S. broadcast deal to be announced soon.

Interview below from today with GLORY management (45 minute mark on these topics):

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26991608
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE  Empty Re: Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 pm
hmm he should just do one or the other in one night.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE  Empty Re: Sergei Kharitonov Wants to Fight Kickboxing & MMA on NYE

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 pm
PRIDE NEVER DIE wrote:hmm he should just do one or the other in one night.

I agree. Going through a kickboxing GP with the best fighters in the world mixed in with a DREAM HW title fight in MMA sounds like way way too much.

Even a single kickboxing match and an MMA match seem like too much, especially if it is a title fight against a solid opponent.

I prefer just to see him fight for the DREAM HW title against a top notch opponent.

I hope Spong will be doing an MMA fight as well, rather than kickboxing. The kickboxing GP is already stacked to the brim. Spong's name came up in the interview when they were discussing fighters who could perform in both kickboxing and MMA.
wekka
wekka

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:44 am
So i'm assuming they changed the grand prix format to single elimination instead of the desired round robin format. THANK GOD.

If Kharitonov wants to this, more power to him, it would be awesome of him. With the high level kickboxers in the field though? Doesn't sound too healthy. If Singh Jaideep can dominate him, I don't even want to think about guys like Ghita or Saki or even Le Banner, what they could possibly do to him.
KSW
KSW

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:41 am
I prefer to see him fighting only for the DREAM HW strap. Like you said he will have an extremely hard fight against the Glory kickboxers.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm
Kharitonov needs to not only fight Jeff Monson but also BEAT him in 2013 in the rematch. I would love to see these 2 fight for the Dream belt or possibly the M-1 HW strap sometime in the future.
wekka
wekka

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am
So GLORY gave Kharitonov a top eight seed, so i'd be really surprised if he were doing MMA the same night. I don't know how they're doing the draws, whether they're by lottery, hand-picked, or if they'll match them up accordingly to their rankings on 9-16.

I expect his opponent to be either Verhoeven or Raoumaru.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 am
this needs to happen at the NYE or have him parachute off a plane Antonio Inoki style

MR.WILLIE

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am
Lofgren wrote:I prefer to see him fighting only for the DREAM HW strap. Like you said he will have an extremely hard fight against the Glory kickboxers.

sergei is a mma fighter and a really good boxer as a kickboxer his in a disadvantedge....he doesnt kick...

fight mma, find him a nice opponent, tony lopez, todd dufee a jeff monson rematch comes to mind...
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am
wekka wrote:So i'm assuming they changed the grand prix format to single elimination instead of the desired round robin format. THANK GOD.

If Kharitonov wants to this, more power to him, it would be awesome of him. With the high level kickboxers in the field though? Doesn't sound too healthy. If Singh Jaideep can dominate him, I don't even want to think about guys like Ghita or Saki or even Le Banner, what they could possibly do to him.

Yeah, it just seems like way too much for anyone to handle. I mean the GP has some of the best fighters in the world and then to follow that up with an MMA fight just seems crazy.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am
RussianTopTeam wrote:Kharitonov needs to not only fight Jeff Monson but also BEAT him in 2013 in the rematch. I would love to see these 2 fight for the Dream belt or possibly the M-1 HW strap sometime in the future.

Agreed.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am
wekka wrote:So GLORY gave Kharitonov a top eight seed, so i'd be really surprised if he were doing MMA the same night. I don't know how they're doing the draws, whether they're by lottery, hand-picked, or if they'll match them up accordingly to their rankings on 9-16.

I expect his opponent to be either Verhoeven or Raoumaru.

So it's confirmed he is in the GP? If so, I hope he is still fighting for the DREAM title.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum