GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now Empty Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:19 am
Former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez is still in the midst of negotiating his next contract, but right now it has become a waiting game on the UFC.

Alvarez became a free agent following his last fight, a knockout victory over Patricky “Pitbull” Freire, and he’s fielding offers from both his last employer Bellator and a likely offer coming in from the UFC.

Bellator allowed Alvarez to begin his negotiations with the UFC immediately, and once they come back with an offer, they can decide to match and re-sign the former champion or allow him to go on to fight in the Octagon.

The only problem right now is the UFC still hasn’t made an official offer.

“I talked to Ed Sunday and there’s really no update in terms of us having received an offer from Ed through the UFC, so we don’t have an offer in front of us to match at this point,” Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday.

When he finished out his last contract with Bellator, Alvarez made it clear that he wanted to test the waters of free agency, and Rebney was completely understanding of the decision.

“Eddie came to me as a friend and said ‘I wouldn’t be doing myself justice if I didn’t go out and see what they would potentially offer me before making a decision’ and I’ve got respect for that, that makes all the sense in the world,” said Rebney.

“If they make an offer we’ll sit back and analyze it and make a decision in short order whether we’re going to match it.”

As of now however the UFC still hasn’t made Alvarez an official offer, and until they do, Bellator remains in a holding pattern on his future with the promotion.

“Ed wants to see what the UFC would put down on paper in terms of a guarantee, and I would do the same if I were Ed,” Rebney stated.

“So we’ll see what they offer and then I’ll sit down with our partners at Viacom and Spike and we’ll make a quick determination as to whether we’re going to match that offer, and we’ll figure out, Ed will either be fighting inside of our circle or inside of their Octagon.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/still-awaiting-an-offer-from-the-ufc-eddie-alvarezs-future-remains-in-limbo-for-now
wekka
wekka

Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now Empty Re: Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:30 am
I think its pretty lame that the UFC hasn't made an official offer. Eddie is the type of guy any organization should be looking to snatch up and make him a long term investment. The guy always comes to fight and is exciting as hell.

Eddie shouldn't have to play any kind of waiting game.
Adax

Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now Empty Re: Still Awaiting an Offer from the UFC, Eddie Alvarez’s Future Remains in Limbo for Now

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 am
Why do I have a feeling Zuffa is happy to keep Eddie waiting?
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 am
AudaxSmoke wrote:Why do I have a feeling Zuffa is happy to keep Eddie waiting?

B.I.N.G.O! And Dana was his name 'o'. Tying up a big draw for Bellator is the only reason.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum