GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight

+5
feltcher harry
Larry Lourner
Strikeforce Stan
CDF47
ZuffaKiller
9 posters
Go down
ZuffaKiller

Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight Empty Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm
Shinya Aoki was the DREAM Lightweight Champion and the Japanese mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion's most marketable asset, but it seemed that the relationship was over when he signed an exclusive contract with ONE FC and was asked to return the belt.

With the company that owned DREAM declaring bankruptcy shortly thereafter, it seemed like a token gesture for Aoki to be asked to make; however, much has changed in the intervening months and the "Tobikan Judan" is set to make a surprise return to the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on later tonight on the New Year's Eve mega event.

His fight with Antonio McKee is set to headline the DREAM 18 card with Aoki among several ONE FC fighters -- alongside Melvin Manhoef, Phil Baroni and Bibiano Fernandes -- who will be in action after GLORY signed up with the ONE FC Network last month.

Aoki was just starting to cut weight in preparation for his bout with McKee, but through a translator, he agreed to answer the following questions for MMAmania.com.

Check it out:

How do you feel about getting to fight for DREAM again?

I am pleased to be able to fight in Japan again because this is my home and I have fought in this stadium many times before. And when I signed with ONE FC I did not know when I would get to fight here again. I am happy that ONE FC has allowed me to be a part of this event because all of my career I have fought in Japan and this year is the first that I have not been able to fight in Japan. It will be good to be back and I hope I can fight well and show how much improvement I have made since my last time fighting here.

You are signed exclusively to ONE FC, how happy are you to still be able to still fight for DREAM?

I think it is better for MMA if people can work together and I am appreciative to ONE FC for allowing me to be a part of this big event in Japan. I want to fight as many times as is possible, but this year I did not fight as many times as I would have liked. And being able to fight on other promotions like DREAM, as well as ONE FC, is good for me and my family because it means I can fight more often.

You have spent much of 2012 training in Singapore, why did you decide to leave Japan?

I asked to join Evolve MMA because I was invited there by Chatri Sityodtong to do a seminar and I was very impressed -- there is nowhere like this in Japan. Everything is in one place so I do not need to go to different places to train and it is very modern and expensive, more like expensive hotel than martial arts gym. The Muay Thai champions there have helped me a lot with my stand up and I think that is the biggest change for me this year. I hope to be able to show this at DREAM 18. Heath Sims has also helped with my wrestling and there are many Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belts there as well for me to grapple with. I do not stay in Singapore all the time, when I am in Japan I train with Yuki Nakai at Paraestra who has been my coach for many years.

Both your fights in 2012 have been very quick, are you hoping to fight for a bit longer against Antonio Mckee?

If I win quickly I will be happy. As a fighter it is good for experience to spend time in the cage or the ring, but winning quickly is even better.

McKee is a very experienced wrestler, are you expecting him to try and take you down?

I don't know what his strategy will be, but I have trained hard and I hope to be ready.

Have you been working on submissions off your back to prepare for the possibility of being taken down?

I have been working on all areas of MMA.

Do you have any predictions for this fight?

No.

What are your ambitions for 2013, are you hoping to fight for DREAM again?

My ambition is always to improve as a martial artist, that is why I made a decision to start training at Evolve MMA in Singapore this year and that is my ambition for 2013. I want to improve and I want to show that improvement by performing well and winning fights. This year I want to win the ONE FC belt, I have won belts with Shooto and with DREAM and being ONE FC champion is a big ambition for me. I want to fight Kotetsu Boku for the belt, which he won against my teammate Zoro, I think he was lucky to beat Zoro and I want to get revenge for my Evolve MMA friend.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/30/3810874/shinya-aoki-talks-making-a-surprise-return-to-dream-to-take-on
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight Empty Re: Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm
Going with Aoki to sub McKee tonight and I think Aoki takes the ONE FC belt in 2013.
Strikeforce Stan
Strikeforce Stan

Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight Empty Re: Improved' Aoki On Japan Return Tonight

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:35 pm
Has he improved his diet so that he doesn't crap his pants when he gets KO'd? (Rumored by Tinobar)
Larry Lourner
Larry Lourner

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm
He really should've let go of the fiber leading into the Nagashima fight
Strikeforce Stan
Strikeforce Stan

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm
The real problem was all the fish oils when he was getting his weight back on imo. Sometimes they can make you gassy and poopy. Aoki is a top LW but he can shit his pants like a Champion Heavyweight. Can't wait for him vs McKee tonight!
feltcher harry
feltcher harry

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm
Aoki via mounted shitty pube triangle

Strikeforce Stan
Strikeforce Stan

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm
That was a shitty joke, I don't know wat to respond with.
No 'K1-level Feltchers'
No 'K1-level Feltchers'

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:41 pm
Strikeforce Stan wrote:Has he improved his diet so that he doesn't crap his pants when he gets KO'd? (Rumored by Tinobar)

Damn Tino said that? Must have been Legit.
feltcher harry
feltcher harry

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:42 pm
I won't believe it til fletch reports it.

Last edited by hipster harry on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Lourner
Larry Lourner

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 pm
hipster harry wrote:Aoki via mounted shitty pube triangle

What type of vulgar nonsense is this? Ugh - I think I puked in my mouth a little
feltcher harry
feltcher harry

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 pm
Oh grow up, Larry Rolling Eyes
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49 pm
Larry Lourner wrote:

What type of vulgar nonsense is this? Ugh - I think I puked in my mouth a little

Good thing it was just in your mouth. I wouldn't want it to spill out and stain that salt n pepper goatee of esteemed journalist Lari Lerner.
Larry Lourner
Larry Lourner

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm
backdoor to zuffa wrote:
Larry Lourner wrote:

Good thing it was just in your mouth. I wouldn't want it to spill out and stain that salt n pepper goatee of esteemed journalist Lari Lerner.

Thanks. You wouldn't believe the trouble I go through to maintain it.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 pm
This is not a chat guys...

Anyway, i like both fighters and it's hard to choose between them, but i'm feeling Aoki will get the sub. Want to see how much Aoki stand up improved too, but he better not play kickboxer and try some risky technique he does not master again.
No 'K1-level Feltchers'
No 'K1-level Feltchers'

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 pm
aoki needs to throw more nonsensical elbows in a downward thrusting motion like he did against Eddie, that will make things interesting. Or he can try to trip Mckee down and grapple fudge him and work some jake shields esque ground and pound .
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 am

Please keep the potty-(ha)-mouth kid's kinda' crap (ha) outa here. There's plenty of other places where that's more than welcome. We like to run a polite non-offensive language ship here.

Dagwood
Admin
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum