GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your favorite stand up style?

+8
Van Halen MMA
Wolfman
Michał
Dagwood
Dapperdoo
nodogoshi
Apres Moi
Kinosis
12 posters
Go down
Kinosis
Kinosis

What's your favorite stand up style? Empty What's your favorite stand up style?

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:17 pm
I've been training a lot of Dutch Kickboxing combinations and using their training methods and researching Muay Thai lately. What stand up style do you like the most to train or watch? Anyone have any good style vs style matches that are worth watching?
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

What's your favorite stand up style? Empty Re: What's your favorite stand up style?

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:15 pm
In sparring im more of a boxer and low kick guy. I dont have the flexibility for high kicks yet. I only been training for a few months so I don't have much experience. Personally, I like Prime Fedor - Alesks style of stance. I like that their power hand is always in motion. Tried it yesterday feels kind of weird - could only get the counter jab and never the right. My fault for not leaping in though. Still getting use to attacking and getting hit. I like nam phan's boxing and I think i will mimic that apporach to striking as I'm similar height/reach. since it is very technical for mma.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

What's your favorite stand up style? Empty Re: What's your favorite stand up style?

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 am
Apres Moi wrote:In sparring im more of a boxer and low kick guy. I dont have the flexibility for high kicks yet. I only been training for a few months so I don't have much experience. Personally, I like Prime Fedor - Alesks style of stance. I like that their power hand is always in motion. Tried it yesterday feels kind of weird - could only get the counter jab and never the right. My fault for not leaping in though. Still getting use to attacking and getting hit. I like nam phan's boxing and I think i will mimic that apporach to striking as I'm similar height/reach. since it is very technical for mma.

My advice is concentrate on the basics first. Later, if maybe you want to play around a little bit, you can.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 am
I agree.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:35 am
I personally am a counter-puncher and will stand hands down in front of my opponent and make them miss using head movement and footwork. I train muay thai but I try to base my style on money mayweather. I love making people miss and being able to counter with my hands. I also love my high kicks, spinning back kicks, wheel kicks and question mark kicks. used to train taekwondo.

I don't really care what your style is, as long as you're active and you're creative.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:23 am
Dapperdoo wrote:I personally am a counter-puncher and will stand hands down in front of my opponent and make them miss using head movement and footwork. I train muay thai but I try to base my style on money mayweather. I love making people miss and being able to counter with my hands. I also love my high kicks, spinning back kicks, wheel kicks and question mark kicks. used to train taekwondo.

I don't really care what your style is, as long as you're active and you're creative.

I have noticed kicks work really well against pretty much every MMA guy since almost none of them can kick or even check kicks. Even at the upper levels guys like Rampage still eat something as simple as leg kicks all the time. But when I am sparring, against guys usually only having a boxing type style or maybe using the occasional low kick, if i start throwing side kicks, high roundhouse kicks, front kicks, etc it completely throws them off their game (which also makes it easier to punch them because they become so busy looking for kicks coming at them).
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm
Kinosis wrote:
Dapperdoo wrote:I personally am a counter-puncher and will stand hands down in front of my opponent and make them miss using head movement and footwork. I train muay thai but I try to base my style on money mayweather. I love making people miss and being able to counter with my hands. I also love my high kicks, spinning back kicks, wheel kicks and question mark kicks. used to train taekwondo.

I have noticed kicks work really well against pretty much every MMA guy since almost none of them can kick or even check kicks. Even at the upper levels guys like Rampage still eat something as simple as leg kicks all the time. But when I am sparring, against guys usually only having a boxing type style or maybe using the occasional low kick, if i start throwing side kicks, high roundhouse kicks, front kicks, etc it completely throws them off their game (which also makes it easier to punch them because they become so busy looking for kicks coming at them).

From what I can see from guys training MMA in my gym is that they box flat-footed and don't kick so when/if I start training MMA I expect to pick them apart with kicks. The only MMA guys in my gym who kick, is a professional MMA fighter and a couple who train muay thai. Even the other pro mma fighters in the gym barely kick.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:37 pm
how did you guys get comfortable with attacking and moving forward? and what tips you have for new guys.

Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:35 pm
Use your jab. Practice it and learn different combos starting with a jab. Pacquiao's bread and butter is a double jab cross.

Then start jabbing in sparring and following with a right cross or hook. Then after you get a hang of it you should experiment.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:29 pm
Apres Moi wrote:how did you guys get comfortable with attacking and moving forward? and what tips you have for new guys.

To get used to being comfortable with punches coming at you, put yourself against a wall (so you can't back up) and have someone throw jabs at you while you cover up and keep eye contact. As you get better and better with that have him throw jabs and crosses, then jabs, crosses, hooks and so on building as you go. Once you get more used to punches coming at you and not turning away you will be more comfortable to attack.

Like the post above this one says, use your jab to come in. Jabs tend to keep people from rushing you to much. And just spar, that's the best way, it just takes time.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 am
Kinosis wrote:
Apres Moi wrote:how did you guys get comfortable with attacking and moving forward? and what tips you have for new guys.

To get used to being comfortable with punches coming at you, put yourself against a wall (so you can't back up) and have someone throw jabs at you while you cover up and keep eye contact. As you get better and better with that have him throw jabs and crosses, then jabs, crosses, hooks and so on building as you go. Once you get more used to punches coming at you and not turning away you will be more comfortable to attack.

Like the post above this one says, use your jab to come in. Jabs tend to keep people from rushing you to much. And just spar, that's the best way, it just takes time.

yeah getting comfortable with punches coming at you is important. we have a drill where the attacker just jabs for a round with pretty powerful jabs and the defender just blocks them and moves around. then switch roles.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 pm
got tagged good today again. just working on my jab, but notice i tend to turn sideways when not striking and my left side of face is open. technical mistake on my part. product of leeting my hand drop + sideway stance. that jab drill sounds good. in class we just parry + slip jabs. i will try to train the wall thing with my friends outside of class.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 pm
just ate now gotta go train some strength. will smoke,stretch and eat well afterward. looking forward to jerking it to ashli orion later. idk why im so attracted to her. they should bottle her farts and sell it like perfume.

Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:43 pm
Apres Moi wrote:just ate now gotta go train some strength. will smoke,stretch and eat well afterward. looking forward to jerking it to ashli orion later. idk why im so attracted to her. they should bottle her farts and sell it like perfume.

You can have mine for free... less bottle deposit. Very Happy

Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 am
Dagwood wrote:
Apres Moi wrote:just ate now gotta go train some strength. will smoke,stretch and eat well afterward. looking forward to jerking it to ashli orion later. idk why im so attracted to her. they should bottle her farts and sell it like perfume.

You can have mine for free... less bottle deposit. Very Happy

no thanks I'm not fond of old farts. What a Face

you should all be proud knowing I'm training in stary oskol like temperatures. also using stary oskol traditional methods.
Michał
Michał

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 am
Boxing
Wolfman
Wolfman

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm
Boxing. I love this sport and practice it for 2 years.

I used to be a Muay Thai fighter and i still can and like to use kicks, but one day i was invited to a real boxing club and it was love at first training. Laughing

Last edited by Wolfman on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 pm
Michał wrote:Boxing

the sport of boxing is limited - joe rogan

but in a sense boxing is probably the best striking for mma if you are well versed in other striking arts.

andy silva = boxer
fedor- boxer
bj - boxer
nick diaz - boxer
jds - boxer
gsp - boxer

if cung le had boxing skills he would have probably tko/ko wand
Michał
Michał

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:23 pm
If you don't no how to throw a JAB, your stand up sucks.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Michał wrote:If you don't no how to throw a JAB, your stand up sucks.

I agree

What's your favorite stand up style? Jab
Van Halen MMA
Van Halen MMA

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm
my striking style is pure sanda. but i utilize a good jab
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:04 am
Apres Moi wrote:

but in a sense boxing is probably the best striking for mma if you are well versed in other striking arts.

andy silva = boxer
fedor- boxer
bj - boxer
nick diaz - boxer
jds - boxer
gsp - boxer

silva isn't a boxer, utilizes kicks very well and is classically trained in Chute Boxe Thai Boxe.
GSP is a kyokushin blackbelt who occasionally trains with freddie roach.
monaroCountry

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 am
I change all the time, one minute im loving the sweet science of boxing and the next minute i can really get into the amazing kicks and checks especially from the Thai's.

I still have Samart Payakaroon up there as one of the if not the greatest MT fighter of all time and a pretty handy boxer also, something which is unusual.

monaroCountry

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:44 am
Apres Moi wrote:

andy silva = boxer
fedor- boxer
bj - boxer
nick diaz - boxer
jds - boxer
gsp - boxer

As good as they are at MMA, these guys are nowhere near that of top level strikers. AS would get decimated against a real MT fighter.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:48 am
monaroCountry wrote:
Apres Moi wrote:

andy silva = boxer
fedor- boxer
bj - boxer
nick diaz - boxer
jds - boxer
gsp - boxer

As good as they are at MMA, these guys are nowhere near that of top level strikers. AS would get decimated against a real MT fighter.
I disagree. I think Fedor, Silva and JDS would do well with K-1 rules against top fighters. Diaz could probably hang too.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum