GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your favorite stand up style?

+8
Van Halen MMA
Wolfman
Michał
Dagwood
Dapperdoo
nodogoshi
Apres Moi
Kinosis
12 posters
Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

What's your favorite stand up style? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favorite stand up style?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:30 am
Dapperdoo wrote:
monaroCountry wrote:
Apres Moi wrote:
Michał wrote:Boxing

the sport of boxing is limited - joe rogan

but in a sense boxing is probably the best striking for mma if you are well versed in other striking arts.

andy silva = boxer
fedor- boxer
bj - boxer
nick diaz - boxer
jds - boxer
gsp - boxer

if cung le had boxing skills he would have probably tko/ko wand

As good as they are at MMA, these guys are nowhere near that of top level strikers. AS would get decimated against a real MT fighter.
I disagree. I think Fedor, Silva and JDS would do well with K-1 rules against top fighters. Diaz could probably hang too.

I think Fedor would do pretty good in K-1. Even Hoost has said that in the past. Fedor's speed combined with power would be hard to deal with for many K-1 top guys. Kinda like a pudgier Russian-speaking Saki.

Fedor's Combat Sambo wide-arcing high-velocity casting punches are IMO more effective at attacking around head defense than much straighter boxing or MT straight punches at distance. That is why they were designed that way. IMO, Fedor's combination are as fast as just about anybody to fight in K-1.

Fedor also eats way more borscht than any K-1 fighter. Smile

Apres Moi
Apres Moi

What's your favorite stand up style? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favorite stand up style?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 pm
Dapperdoo wrote:
silva isn't a boxer, utilizes kicks very well and is classically trained in Chute Boxe Thai Boxe.
GSP is a kyokushin blackbelt who occasionally trains with freddie roach.

They wish they were boxers making Mayweather type money. IMO, Andy is an amazing MMA boxer due to his acumen of other discipline. Boxing is the safest (TDD) and effective for MMA - this is why you see guys like Fedor, GSP and Diaz rarely throw kicks.

If i had to choose a striking art I would def choose the angles, footwork and head movement of boxing along with its sweet science in conjunction with Muay Thai clinch and defensive leg work.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 pm
monaroCountry wrote:

As good as they are at MMA, these guys are nowhere near that of top level strikers. AS would get decimated against a real MT fighter.[/quote]

Yes my implications were rooted in MMA. Sorry I didnt notice it was the kickboxing/boxing section.
AS may look good against Forrest, but would get Cro Copped (or Pat Curran) against a k1 level striker.

SandroKTFO.gif
Adax

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 pm
i will always be grateful for the kicks i learned from Tang So Do (a korean karate similar to Tae Kwon Do) as a kid. i'd love to develop some real punches to go with those one day but there are no Boxing gyms for 45 minutes where i'm at (and i don't drive :< ). the gym i used to do Jiu Jitsu at had Thai Box classes but i really would prefer to learn traditional Boxing. ahh well, if i can ever actually achieve "spare money" then i'll take what i can get in those Thai Boxing classes but until then it's back to spazzing on bags hanging from trees in back yards!
rezin
rezin

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:52 am
^ Don't waste your money on Thai boxing classes unless you plan on going to Thailand.
I'm guessing most Muay Thai gyms is North America are either not interested, or not capable of teaching proper technique.

Quite a few are probably geared toward MT for mma instead of proper MT.

Boxing gyms (although they differ in quality as well) are probably your best bet at something useful.

Boxing will also help with Muay Thai as Muay Thai is half boxing.

Looking at MT fights it may not seem the ratio is correct, but there is a lot more to boxing than just punching.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 am
I have a plaid belt under Bilson Blanks in Thai Bo.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:05 am
rezin wrote:^ Don't waste your money on Thai boxing classes unless you plan on going to Thailand.
I'm guessing most Muay Thai gyms is North America are either not interested, or not capable of teaching proper technique.

Quite a few are probably geared toward MT for mma instead of proper MT.

Boxing gyms (although they differ in quality as well) are probably your best bet at something useful.

Boxing will also help with Muay Thai as Muay Thai is half boxing.

Looking at MT fights it may not seem the ratio is correct, but there is a lot more to boxing than just punching.

I'd have to disagree.

Of course it is ideal to go to Thailand.

But, I have rubbed shoulders with a number of people in the US who are proficient enough in Muay Thai to at least provide the rudiments, at the very least.

Again, in a perfect world, everyone aspiring to learn Muay Thai would spend their time off in Thailand, or at least Amsterdam, learning from the pros.

But, you have to make due with what you have.

At least by studying Muay Thai in say the US, you can learn to kick properly (for sport fighting), and maybe even to knee and clinch, if you are lucky.

Strange to say, but the first guy to train me in MMA techniques (in Oregon) got his start in fighting training Muay Thai in Thailand. His dad took him their when he was 16.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:10 am
Oh yeah, just as an aside, the guy was fond of saying things like:

"Just forgive your dad, bro. When I turned 16, my dad told me 'it's time to go to Thailand.' It took me a long time to forgive him for that."
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:16 am
Ah, shit here is the guy. I forgot this shit was even out there.

(Gary Quan. Sherdog has him listed as 3-5, but he fought in a great many unsanctioned fights, just like everyone I knew who was fighting at the time. I was only 17 when I started training with them, and never actually fought, aside from an ill-fated amateur boxing match, and a lot of judo/grappling--all of this after my wrestling "career").
What's your favorite stand up style? - Page 2 2902ck

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gary-Quan-5216
rezin
rezin

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm
^ I wish it was time for me to go to Thailand when I turned 16, by then I'd had enough of the U.S.

This may be just linguistics, but if Audax was to say kickboxing or even Muay Thai,
I wouldn't have said anything.

The words Muay Thai get thrown around freely when ever kicking and kneeing are involved,
but I would say what the Thai's do and what others call Muay Thai are considerably different.

A bunch of Martial Arts have kicks and knees (and even elbows)
but they are not called Muay Thai with good reason.

I don't even say Muay Thai anymore, as to me that term has been hijacked and has lost meaning.

I call it Thai Boxing as even though it technically means the same as MT,
no one uses TB to describe Dutch kickboxing, and it doesn't bring up the same imagery that
using MT does, so since Audax said Thai boxing this may be just a misunderstanding on my part.

It sounds silly, but I feel that proper Thai Boxing is fundamentally closer to Boxing,
than it is to the various other kicking sports.

Last edited by rezin on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Adax

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:39 am
yeah the style they offer at the local gym here is no elbows kickboxing style training that they're calling "Thai Boxing". i'm positive it's not real/pure Muay Thai.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:24 am
Sanda for the optics
Kinosis
Kinosis

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 pm
I do enjoy Machida's style of striking as well. He looked good against Jones in the stand up, the only guy who has so far. Plus Machida's style of Karate is something you can learn, you can't learn Jones' have a foot of reach on everyone.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum