GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time

+13
Junkyard Log
Wolfman
Dapperdoo
Dagwood
monaroCountry
IQ Wrestler
wekka
BlackZeus
theiconfedor
CDF47
Adax
PRIDE NEVER DIE
KSW
17 posters
Go down
rezin
rezin

The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am
Linland had no business being in the same ring as the goat. He was a replacement for Randy.

Cause Randy decided that a guaranteed 3 million and a shot at the absolute greatest of all time is not
quite as good as a shot at a lol ufc title and a chance to have diner with Dana White.

Truth is that Fedor fought people he shouldn't have, but really it's all out of his control.

MMA is not a sport. Hell it's not even sports entertainment.
KSW
KSW

The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:00 am
rezin wrote:Linland had no business being in the same ring as the goat. He was a replacement for Randy.

Cause Randy decided that a guaranteed 3 million and a shot at the absolute greatest of all time is not
quite as good as a shot at a lol ufc title and a chance to have diner with Dana White.

Truth is that Fedor fought people he shouldn't have, but really it's all out of his control.

I´m not saying it was a good matchup for Fedor, I´m saying Lindland was a better win than most of Andersons opponents.
BlackZeus
BlackZeus

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm
PRIDE FC wrote:
rezin wrote:Linland had no business being in the same ring as the goat. He was a replacement for Randy.

I´m not saying it was a good matchup for Fedor, I´m saying Lindland was a better win than most of Andersons opponents.

And that is a big fat lie. Like nowhere close to any realm of reality.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 pm
BlackZeus wrote:
PRIDE FC wrote:

Fedor's Losses

Top 10 HW
- submission by a multi-time world BJJ champion
- submission by a multi-time ADCC champion

Top 10 LHW
- Pride Middleweight Championship (world's top organization)
- Pride Welterweight Championship (world's top organization)
- 2005 Pride Welterweight Grand Prix Champion (world's top organization)
- Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship
- one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time
- 2X Greco-Roman Wrestling Olympian

Top 10 HW
- 30-60lb heavier on fight night
- 4" taller
- much longer reach
- much bigger feet
- much bigger head

Un-ranked Fighter
- minor league promotion
- controversial doctor stoppage due to cut (many consider a NC)

Anderson's Losses

Un-ranked Fighter
- 1 smaller (3" shorter fought LW-MW)
- minor league promotion

Un-ranked Fighter
- losing record

Un-ranked Fighter
- smaller (5" shorter)

Un-ranked Fighter
- by DQ for illegal strikes

Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:44 pm

I don't recall any serious negotiations between Randy & Fedor to fight at the bodogFIGHT show in St. Petersburg. If I recall correctly, Randy had only just come out of retirement and won the UFC HW title mere months before bodogFIGHT's show.

Last edited by Sweet Pea Is My Mom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm
BlackZeus wrote:
PRIDE FC wrote:

I give Fedor credit for beating Matt Lindland, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the most avoided fighters in MMA history. Years ago, Dana deliberately kept Lindland away from a title shot, even though he was undoubtedly the #2 MW, because he was a "boring" fighter. Dana was happy to feed Rich Franklin hypejobs like David "The Crow" Loiseau - one of the worst fighters to ever fight for a UFC title - and inexperienced TUF bums like Nate "Rock" Quarry, who had beaten absolutely 0 opponents of note in his laughable UFC win streak. Dana would never let Anderson near dry, tough-nosed American Olympic wrestler with ADCC grappling experience (unless it is Chael Sonnen, who can sell PPVs with his mouth & has the worst submission defense in the history of the MW division).

So yes, Fedor deserves massive credit for fighting someone Anderson wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Last edited by Sweet Pea Is My Mom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
wekka
wekka

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 pm
Lol at RINGS being a minor league promotion.

Doesn't matter about Lindland's accolades, he was a MIDDLEWEIGHT. I'd rather have seen Fedor fight Eric Pele instead of a match with Fedor.

As for Rogers, there's no denying his spot in the top ten, as I believe Arlovski was still top five at the time. I also can't deny that Rogers was still a pretty weak victory, regardless of ranking. Does it count as a top ten victory? Yes. Should it be considered a highlighted victory? Not really, As Rogers was a very one dimensional fighter that got by solely on size, punching power, and favorable match-ups up until his fight with Arlovski, who ended up being his only signature victory.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 pm
Dagwood wrote:
BlackZeus wrote:
PRIDE FC wrote:

Fedor's Losses

Top 10 HW
- submission by a multi-time world BJJ champion
- submission by a multi-time ADCC champion

Top 10 LHW
- Pride Middleweight Championship (world's top organization)
- Pride Welterweight Championship (world's top organization)
- 2005 Pride Welterweight Grand Prix Champion (world's top organization)
- Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship
- one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time
- 2X Greco-Roman Wrestling Olympian

Top 10 HW
- 30-60lb heavier on fight night
- 4" taller
- much longer reach
- much bigger feet
- much bigger head

Un-ranked Fighter
- minor league promotion
- controversial doctor stoppage due to cut (many consider a NC)

Anderson's Losses

Un-ranked Fighter
- 1 smaller (3" shorter fought LW-MW)
- minor league promotion

Un-ranked Fighter
- losing record

Un-ranked Fighter
- smaller (5" shorter)

Un-ranked Fighter
- by DQ for illegal strikes

Top draw posting once again, Dagwood. The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 2750705302

It is a well-known fact (Anderson fans & the media hate to harp on this) that Anderson Silva was beaten by a bloated LW in Luiz Azevedo, who suffers from one of the worst cases of Glass Jaw I have ever seen; another undersized tomato can in Daiju Takase; and a humiliating submission loss to, at the time, an exciting prospect in Ryo Chonan, whose career nose-dived after his dominant performance against "The Spider."

wekka
wekka

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm
Outside of the emphatic victory, I wouldn't exactly say that Chonan was dominating Silva. Seemed to have been a fairly close fight from what I recall.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm
wekka wrote:Lol at RINGS being a minor league promotion.

Doesn't matter about Lindland's accolades, he was a MIDDLEWEIGHT. I'd rather have seen Fedor fight Eric Pele instead of a match with Fedor.

I disagree. Lindland was a legitimate fighter, albeit undersized, whereas Butterbean is a walking marshmallow with a spare-tire waistline.

wekka wrote:As for Rogers, there's no denying his spot in the top ten, as I believe Arlovski was still top five at the time. I also can't deny that Rogers was still a pretty weak victory, regardless of ranking. Does it count as a top ten victory? Yes. Should it be considered a highlighted victory? Not really, As Rogers was a very one dimensional fighter that got by solely on size, punching power, and favorable match-ups up until his fight with Arlovski, who ended up being his only signature victory.

To be fair, wekka, we can also nitpick Anderson's wins in the same manner - Thales Leites & Patrick Cote, for example.
wekka
wekka

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 pm
I'm not making excuses for Anderson, I never thought that Cote was deserving of a title shot and while Leites was thoroughly unspectacular, he did compile a decent win streak for promotion, even if his "win" over Marquardt probably directly lead to it.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm
wekka wrote:I'm not making excuses for Anderson, I never thought that Cote was deserving of a title shot and while Leites was thoroughly unspectacular, he did compile a decent win streak for promotion, even if his "win" over Marquardt probably directly lead to it.

Yup, I agree. There's not much difference between Fedor's win over Rogers & Anderson's wins over Cote & Thales - all these opponents had fairly unspectacular win streaks, yet managed to get one key win which got them the shot.
KSW
KSW

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 am
BlackZeus wrote:
PRIDE FC wrote:

Middleweight Rankings

May 2004:

1. Matt Lindland
2. Jeremy Horn
3. Evan Tanner
4. Ricardo Almeida
5. Phil Baroni
6. Anderson Silva
7. Amar Suloev
8. Nathan Marquardt
9. Lee Murray
10. Joe Doerksen

September 2005:

1. Rich Franklin
2. Evan Tanner
3. Matt Lindland
4. Anderson Silva
5. Nate Marquardt
6. Ivan Salavary
7. David Terrell
8. Phil Baroni
9. Dave Loiseau
10. Paulo Filho

September 2006:

1. Rich Franklin
2. Matt Lindland
3. Dan Henderson
4. Kazuo Misaki
5. Anderson Silva
6. Paulo Filho
7. Nathan Marquardt
8. Denis Kang
9. David Loiseau
10. Jeremy Horn

January 2007:

1. Anderson Silva
2. Matt Lindland
3. Paulo Filho
4. Rich Franklin
5. Kazuo Misaki
6. Dan Henderson
7. Nathan Marquardt
8. Denis Kang
9. Mike Swick
10. Akihiro Gono

November 13, 2007:
Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings

1. Anderson Silva
2. Paulo Filho
3. Matt Lindland
4. Rich Franklin
5. Nate Marquardt
6. Robbie Lawler
7. Yushin Okami
8. Yoshihiro Akiyama
9. Denis Kang
10. Frank Trigg

January 4, 2008:
Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings

1. Anderson Silva
2. Paulo Filho
3. Matt Lindland
4. Rich Franklin
5. Nate Marquardt
6. Robbie Lawler
7. Yushin Okami
8. Frank Trigg
9. Kazuo Misaki
10. Yoshihiro Akiyama
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 am
wekka wrote:Lol at RINGS being a minor league promotion.

Yeah, you right. Don't know what I was thinking there. I might have unconsciouly tried to offset any argument about the Kohsaka fight along with that it wasn't the UFC or PRIDE-level competition. Rings was a least on par with the UFC at the time in my books. A lot of great fighters came up form there. Rings was clearly not Mecca or Cage Rage.
rezin
rezin

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 am
You guys misunderstood me. I was just saying that Linland is not of adequate physical appearance to be
in the same ring as Fedor. Same with Sylvia. Can you imagine Pride letting those two in Pride? Hell no.

Those guys truly belong in a cage.
KSW
KSW

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am
# 2 Ranked Lindland was better than following of Andersons opponents..

Daiju Takase LOSS
Luiz Azeredo LOSS
Ryo Chonan LOSS
Yushin Okami LOSS
Raimundo Pinheiro
Fabricio Camoes
Jose Barreto
Claudionor da Silva Fontinelle
Tetsuji Kato
Israel Albuquerque
Roan Carneiro
Alex Stiebling
Alexander Otsuka
Carlos Newton
Waldir dos Anjos
Jeremy Horn
Lee Murray
Jorge Rivera
Curtis Stout
Tony Fryklund
Chris Leben
Travis Lutter
Nate Marquardt
James Irvin
Patrick Cote
Thales Leites
Demian Maia
Stephan Bonnar
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am
Good post, Johan. Dana kept Anderson away from both prime Paulo Filho & prime Matt Lindland.

Some people get carried away with their revisionist history.
KSW
KSW

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 pm
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:Good post, Johan. Dana kept Anderson away from both prime Paulo Filho & prime Matt Lindland.

Some people get carried away with their revisionist history.
It´s disturbing how people try to rewrite history. Lindland was a top fighter for many years and anyone who was a fan back then knows this. Dana didn´t want anything to do with Lindland and Filho because he knew they had the style to beat Anderson.
Junkyard Log
Junkyard Log

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm
[quote="PRIDE FC"]
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:Good post, Johan. Dana kept Anderson away from both prime Paulo Filho & prime Matt Lindland.

Dana didn´t want anything to do with Lindland and Filho because he knew they had the style to beat Anderson.

That's what the documentary Fighting Politics is about regarding Matt Lindland.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 pm
Junkyard Log wrote:

Dana didn´t want anything to do with Lindland and Filho because he knew they had the style to beat Anderson.

I've never seen that. Is it worth the watch?
Junkyard Log
Junkyard Log

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:
Junkyard Log wrote:

I thought it was decent.. they have like a 20 min clip of it on Youtube but I have the full thing.

if you want it let me know and I'll try to get it to you (if you can't find the full documentary)
TehPackage
TehPackage

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 pm
Junkyard Log wrote:

http://www.fightingpolitics.com/
KSW
KSW

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 pm
TehPackage wrote:
Junkyard Log wrote:

http://www.fightingpolitics.com/
Thanks

KSW
KSW

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm
The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 2345577715 
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:49 pm
PRIDE FC wrote:The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 2345577715 
The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 2345577715   The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 25gavzd

The Greatest MMA Fighter of All Time  - Page 3 2zqttvc
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum