GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame Empty 'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 pm
'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame 161_chael_sonnen_vs_shogun_rua_gallery_post.0_standard_709.0

Murilo Rua didn’t see that coming.

"Ninja", the older brother of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, predicted his brother to knock Chael Sonnen out in the main event of UFC Fight Night 26 in Boston, but the night ended early when Sonnen tapped Rua with a guillotine in the first round.

"I was surprised," "Ninja" told MMAFighting.com on Monday. "In my opinion, Mauricio played the wrong game. He should’ve moved more to avoid the takedowns. Fighting on half guard against a wrestler isn’t a good strategy. He should have brought Chael to his guard when he got taken down, tried to sweep him or land some punches. But Sonnen got his neck, unfortunately."

More Coverage: UFC Fight Night 26 Results | UFC news
Download MMA Fighting iPhone App
This is the first time "Shogun" suffered two consecutive losses in 29 professional fights, and his UFC record now stands at 5-6. "Ninja" still believes his brother has what it takes to be the best light heavyweight fighter on the planet, but he has to make some changes.

"My brother needs someone, he needs a head coach who can listen to," he said. "I always told him the truth no matter what, but I had issues with trainers from his camp. Maybe in the future I’ll work with him again, who knows. I’ll talk to him when he returns to Curitiba."

"Shogun" changed his coaches, trainers and managers several times during his UFC run, and his brother believes that is one of the problems.

"He has a lot of shady persons around him, people trying to take advantage of him," he said. "People from his camp said I wasn’t good for Mauricio because I made him nervous when I was on his corner, and he listened to that, so I decided to leave. If something is wrong I would point it out, I wouldn’t just lie to please him."

It was the first time "Shogun" has been defeated in the UFC by someone not ranked in the top 10 of his weight class. However, cutting 20 more pounds to fight at middleweight isn’t an option, according to "Ninja".

"My brother never went on a diet," he said. "But I believe it’s hard for him to (fight at middleweight), he weighs around 230 pounds. I don’t know what he’s thinking for his future, I’ll talk to him when he gets back home."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/19/4636216/ninja-rua-surprised-by-shoguns-loss-believes-shady-persons-are
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame Empty Re: 'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 pm
Shogun at hw anybody Smile
Heretic
Heretic

'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame Empty Re: 'Ninja' Rua surprised by Shogun's loss, believes 'shady persons' are partially to blame

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:43 pm
Wasn't ninja in his corner at the Sonnen fight?
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 pm
It wasn't surprising chael won IMO it was the way he won by sub and how quickly he did it.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 am
Shogun was once of the most athletic fighters in all of MMA. He flew around the ring like a tornado. He was really something to watch with his speed, power, & agility. I just don't get it. I don't think it's just his knees.
wekka
wekka

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 am
Mental problems definitely play a small part in his decline. It seemed like he might have been turning things around again after withstanding so much punishment in the Vera fight, but this mental weakness seems to be prevalent.

He doesn't seem to have that good of work ethic, either.
KSW
KSW

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 am
Some athletes have their prime between 20-25, some between 25-30, others 30-40.

It´s safe to say Shogun is past prime.
CODELMJVG
CODELMJVG

Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:54 am
This one hurt the most imo for me.
What if Shogun worst losses.
lamarclark09

Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 am
For me, it was not surprising at all.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum