GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Miike
Miike

Jon Jones ducking the rematch ? Empty Jon Jones ducking the rematch ?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:46 am
After winning the toughest fight of his career, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones isn't sure that Alexander Gustafsson should get an immediate rematch with him.

Jon Jones' next light heavyweight title defense is a bit uncertain at this point. After a memorable win over the weekend against Alexander Gustafsson, some fans and media members have called for an immediate rematch given the close nature of the bout and the high drama and excitement delivered throughout the evening. Dana White said in the UFC 165 post-fight press conference that a rematch would be "likely". In an interview with Ariel Helwani as part of UFC Tonight, Jones not only felt that he clearly beat Gustafsson but that he's not too sure about an immediate rematch:

Jones says since he feels that he decisively won the fight and isn't sure if @AlexTheMauler should get an immediate rematch.

— UFC Tonight (@UFCTonight) September 25, 2013
UPDATE: MMA Fighting has more details:

According to a report on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight, Jones initially believed an immediate rematch against Gustafsson would be the fairest outcome. However, after re-watching the fight "over 10 times," Jones believes he decisively beat Gustafsson for at least three rounds, scoring rounds two, four and five for himself.
UPDATE II: Here's the official quote from Helwani from the show:

"He told me he did not break his foot. It's just a deep bruise and he should be good to go in a few weeks. Right after the fight he thought the most-fair thing to do was to grant Alexander Gustafsson a rematch. Now, after watching the fight over ten more, Jones thinks he decisively won rounds two, four and five and that he decisively won the fight, so the most-fair thing to do is to move on."
Jones also told Helwani that he thought he possibly won the opening round where he was taken down for the first time in his career (although he did return to his feet seconds later).

Glover Teixeira, who admittedly told Helwani that he's not against Jones and Gustafsson fighting again while he takes another fight, is theoretically next in line for Jones should the rematch not take place.

Gustafsson, who spoke to Kenny Florian and Chael Sonnen via Skype, hasn't been approached by UFC officials about a potential rematch.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/25/4771542/ufc-jon-jones-believes-alexander-gustafsson-should-not-get-rematch-mma-news

Jon Jones ducking the rematch ? Alexander-Gustafsson-Jon-Jones-UFC-165-326x235
KSW
KSW

Jon Jones ducking the rematch ? Empty Re: Jon Jones ducking the rematch ?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:12 am
Gustafsson rematch makes more sense than giving Glover the shot. Jones is scared of getting beat up by the swede again.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am
I don't know if an immediate rematch is needed. It is more normal in the case that a champion loses in a close fight (often the result of a contractual clause), or in the case of a controversial decision which goes the way of the champion. Nothing wrong if Gustaf is compelled to notch up another win or two first. Either way, really.

I did watch the fight, after the fact, but I was sort of distracted at the time with multi-tasking. So, I don't have a very strong opinion. It may have been closer than I thought. I'm not really sure.
Mikal
Mikal

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am
Jones vs Teixeira is official : http://mmalinker.com/no-immediate-rematch-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-up-next/

Gustafsson's next fight will be in Sweden
Miike
Miike

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:31 am
To me it's not really about that the rematch happens right away, I think it would be good to have some time in between so they can improve some more but it really seems like Jones doesn't want to do this again. I also think he's giving himself more credit than he deserves thinking he won the fight that decisively.
Miike
Miike

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 am
Mikal wrote:Jones vs Teixeira is official : http://mmalinker.com/no-immediate-rematch-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-up-next/

"UFC president Dana White confirmed the Teixeira match with ESPN on Wednesday. “That’s what the champ wants,” said the UFC president."
PRIDE4EVER
PRIDE4EVER

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:24 pm
Miike wrote:
Mikal wrote:Jones vs Teixeira is official : http://mmalinker.com/no-immediate-rematch-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-up-next/

"UFC president Dana White confirmed the Teixeira match with ESPN on Wednesday. “That’s what the champ wants,” said the UFC president."

embarrassing when a "champion" gets to pick and chose his fights. Then again what do you expect from a company that changed the stats to make Jon seem more dominate
adam
adam

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I have no interest in that shit.

Jon obviously doesn't want to fight Gus again.
adam
adam

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 pm
Maybe I'm just a hater but I'm still not sold on the Glover hype.

He's a big, strong, tough, brawler but I don't see him being a threat to Jones and I think he has gotten pretty favorable match ups in the UFC (probably because he's Chuck's boy).

He's just a brawler with a decent ground game who almost got KO'd by a much smaller Maldonaldo.

Plus you see Dana, the media, and fans like the Zuffadoggers talk about how great he is and how he is the next up and comer when homie is like in his mid 30s lol.

I don't know maybe I'm just not seeing it.

I honestly think Rampage could've beat him if he'd been taking these last few years serious at all.

Jones by 50-45 UD
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 pm
Jones just doing what Anderson's been doing forever LOL.

I don't blame Jon not giving a rematch to Gus he didn't win.

Gus did put a hurting on him the likes
Of which has never been seen but IMO Jones won 2 -4&5

Glover is only being talked about like a prospect because he couldn't get in USA fir years so now even tho in his 30s he is just now getting the attention he deserves.

Glover has great hands good kicks and groundgame.

I think his stand-up is enough to get Jones vulnerable and his bjj he can armbar Jones like vitor.

Reguardless the fight will be great meanwhile Gus gets to ko a couple heads and let the burn for the title sink in.
megaronnie
megaronnie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm
Jon Jones ducking the rematch ? Tumblr_mdyg0vqv3I1qhspalo1_500
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 pm
Jon Jones ducking the rematch ? 550w_ds_icon_alfonso_ribeiro_06
megaronnie
megaronnie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm
*Not appropriate

Dagwood
Admin

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum