GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sell Me on The Ring for MMA

+8
Mikal
fka
RussianTopTeam
Aunt Red
Adax
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
SRC
Hamilcar
12 posters
Go down
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Sell Me on The Ring for MMA Empty Sell Me on The Ring for MMA

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 pm
Somebody please explain to me how the ring is functionally better for MMA than the cage. To me the cage is a solution for the grappling match problem of resets and ring outs. It would make perfect sense to hold wrestling matches and jujutsu matches in a cage just as well as MMA. It is not a gimmick it is a functional solution that allows for uninterrupted grappling matches. It also provides a wall. It can be boring, but I see as exciting and strategic more often. It is a way for a fighter to deal with a better striker that he can't take down.

Anyway, what are the arguments for The Ring?
SRC
SRC

Sell Me on The Ring for MMA Empty Re: Sell Me on The Ring for MMA

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:41 pm
The thing I like most about the ring is that it gives traditional strikers an advantage and that's what we want to see. We want to see two guys slugging it out, and the ring provides that. The ground game is always secondary because very few guys can actually hold a good ground scrap. I prefer the ring because I've spent all my time in one. I've never liked grappling in the cage, and I will admit my pro wrestling side doesn't ever want that to change.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:44 pm
watch out bro you about get server

You could cut corner
2. You get better view
3. It look much because it so clear
4. better view
5. no cage fighter slang
6. the ring allow for safely performed stomp, knee-on the –ground the –ground and soccer kick
7. if you’ve ever been live events, you quickly realize the visibility its far superior in the ring .I’ve ringside and further back, and the ring is still the king
8. ring all recognized as combat sport because has boxing /kickboxing /muay Thai plus are also intenationally recognized as symbols as combat sport word in world
9. the ring ropes also act as boundary, thought with a certain amount of give ,so I would describe theme as a ‘’ softer boundary’’
10. plenty of wrestler who had successes in the ring aka rampage mark Kerr mark colemen
11. the spring of the ring can create space to  make transition easier
12. cage is  larger, encourages defensive tactic and back pedaling ,ring encourage circling rather the running backwards, and encourage offence for as defense
13. Cage clinch probably lead to most boring  face fomma..in the ring fighter bounce off the rope, more acrobatic and energetic …
Because guys hold each other against the  cage too much and a ring would provide more exciting bout without cage-stalling tactics’
14. please remember the pride because it was best thing since fedor debut on pridefc
15. The corner allow for move varied and dynamic striking game. Fighter can trap their opponent in the corner, adding an extras stragic element .when an opponent is put in such a position he is far more open to straight punch than he would be in tradition cage where lateral movement nearly always provide an escape route.in general, this lead to more varied striking and less reliance on looks.
16. The ring is great because there are less stalemate
17.Ring, easily. You can't press someone up against the ropes like you do in a cage, you can't stop take downs with ropes, and you can't press someone up against ropes.
You need to have better technique to be in a ring
18.Ring makes mma look like a real classy sport and favours active fighters instead of wall n stall point fighters. Just compare PRIDE and UFC and you´ll see the obvious. If ONE truly wants to be the next PRIDE they MUST use the ring.
1. You could cut corner
2. You get better view
3. It look much because it so clear
4. better view
5. no cage fighter slang
6. the ring allow for safely performed stomp, knee-on the –ground the –ground and soccer kick
7. if you’ve ever been live events, you quickly realize the visibility its far superior in the ring .I’ve ringside and further back, and the ring is still the king
8. ring all recognized as combat sport because has boxing /kickboxing /muay Thai plus are also intenationally recognized as symbols as combat sport word in world
9. the ring ropes also act as boundary, thought with a certain amount of give ,so I would describe theme as a ‘’ softer boundary’’
10. plenty of wrestler who had successes in the ring aka rampage mark Kerr mark colemen
11. the spring of the ring can create space to  make transition easier
12. cage is  larger, encourages defensive tactic and back pedaling ,ring encourage circling rather the running backwards, and encourage offence for as defense
13. Cage clinch probably lead to most boring  face fomma..in the ring fighter bounce off the rope, more acrobatic and energetic …
Because guys hold each other against the  cage too much and a ring would provide more exciting bout without cage-stalling tactics’
14. please remember the pride because it was best thing since fedor debut on pridefc
15. The corner allow for move varied and dynamic striking game. Fighter can trap their opponent in the corner, adding an extras stragic element .when an opponent is put in such a position he is far more open to straight punch than he would be in tradition cage where lateral movement nearly always provide an escape route.in general, this lead to more varied striking and less reliance on looks.
16. The ring is great because there are less stalemate
17.Ring, easily. You can't press someone up against the ropes like you do in a cage, you can't stop take downs with ropes, and you can't press someone up against ropes.
You need to have better technique to be in a ring
18.Ring makes mma look like a real classy sport and favours active fighters instead of wall n stall point fighters. Just compare PRIDE and UFC and you´ll see the obvious. If ONE truly wants to be the next PRIDE they MUST use the ring.

Adax

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 pm
It feels like action flows better generally for the spectator, restarts are actually not that common. Cage doors pop open sometimes too.
I don't understand how you say it's better for grappling when pure grappling is never contested anywhere but an open mat with no walls.
If a fighter isn't equipped with skills to deal with a superior striker he can't take down like set up then that person should lose rather than have a wall thanks to the combat environment to survive with.
Cages seem disorienting to the fighters inside them sometimes, their use of angles are lacking or used improperly. You see fighters circling or backing into the cage all the time.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 pm
iframe]
Aunt Red
Aunt Red

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 am
kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:watch out bro you about get server

Sell Me on The Ring for MMA Tumblr_m68vtbQ2K91qbroam
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 am
WWE uses ring. If that doesn't have you sold, I don't know what will.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 pm
AudaxSmoke wrote:It feels like action flows better generally for the spectator, restarts are actually not that common. Cage doors pop open sometimes too.
I don't understand how you say it's better for grappling when pure grappling is never contested anywhere but an open mat with no walls.
If a fighter isn't equipped with skills to deal with a superior striker he can't take down like set up then that person should lose rather than have a wall thanks to the combat environment to survive with.
Cages seem disorienting to the fighters inside them sometimes, their use of angles are lacking or used improperly. You see fighters circling or backing into the cage all the time.
The Ring just feels ill suited and obsolete for mixed martial arts matches. It was designed for boxing not fighters trying to drive through their opponent to take them down and scrambles on the mat.

When I said that I wouldn't mind seeing wrestling matches in a cage I was anticipating the argument of "You say the cage is needed to eliminate resets. Then why aren't they/do you want a cage for wrestling matches?" My answer is absolutely. Use it for high school wrestling teams even. They go off the mat all the time. Why are their arbitrary boundaries? Make the boundary real and then you don't have to stop the action.

Coincidentally, when I posted this topic this interview was posted: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/12/5043630/rorion-gracie-and-the-day-he-created-the-ufc
Rorion Gracie said: "The TV guys loved the idea," he said. "It was unbelievably crazy, but they loved it. I used to teach John Milius and we started wondering how we could create a ring where the fighters couldn’t escape. I’ve seen a lot of fighters escape through the ropes when they’re getting beat. We came up with the idea to build a tank full of sharks or alligators around the ring, or maybe an electric fence. We considered everything, but in the end we came up with the idea of an octagon."
So the cage was invented with the idea of eliminating resets and retreats for cowardly fighters.
[Seriously, though? Sharks and alligators?!?!?!]
Coincidently, after I posted this topic
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 pm
AudaxSmoke wrote:
I want to add that this is a good argument for The Ring. I have noticed this myself, too.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 pm
Simple neither use m-1 rage
fka
fka

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 pm
Not to be a dick but its hard to read caveman LOL.

Ring and cage lovers are so devoted to swaying eachothers minds they won't even accept an answer is already out there.

I'm a cage Guy straight up .....

Not going in to why cuz I already have numerous times but what I will say is I can admit m-1 rage takes away the major issues I have with the ring.

It does away with square shape and prevents un needed interference like restarts,getting tangled up or purposely hide between ropes and fallouts.

& if ring guys sat back really thought I bet they would admit it gets rid of most issues they have with cage like wall n stall and hindering tdd.

M-1 rage was built to create a true arena for mma eliminating the negatives of each previous style and giving us something unique fir mma.

But mma fans would rather call eachother idiots and fight over the 2 or 3 things they don't like about either one lmfao
fka
fka

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm
Basically having the same discussion in kick boxing chat so posted my response dismiss the first sentence was talking to kayno
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:56 am
fka=prick

Last edited by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Mikal
Mikal

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 am
fka wrote:Not to be a dick but its hard to read caveman LOL.

Ring and cage lovers are so devoted to swaying eachothers minds they won't even accept an answer is already out there.

I'm a cage Guy straight up .....

Not going in to why cuz I already have numerous times but what I will say is I can admit m-1 rage takes away the major issues I have with the ring.

It does away with square shape and prevents un needed interference like restarts,getting tangled up or purposely hide between ropes and fallouts.

& if ring guys sat back really thought I bet they would admit it gets rid of most issues they have with cage like wall n stall and hindering tdd.

M-1 rage was built to create a true arena for mma eliminating the negatives of each previous style and giving us something unique fir mma.

But mma fans would rather call eachother idiots and fight over the 2 or 3 things they don't like about either one lmfao
Quick question - what don't you like about the square shape of a ring?
Fairweather

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 am
i always say i like a combination of both. a 5+ sided ring with stronger ropes and a good netting on the bottom is perfect for MMA imo.
fka
fka

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am
^+1

Square doesn't allow fir proper circling or grappling
Adax

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:36 pm
fka wrote:Not to be a dick but its hard to read caveman LOL.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:fka=prick
**Not cool guys, knock this off now. - Audax
fka
fka

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:42 pm
Cages seem disorienting to the fighters inside them sometimes, their use of angles are lacking or used improperly. You see fighters circling or backing into the cage all the time. ”

I don't think its disorienting I think it's fighters more anticipating a takedown as it seems the go to tdd is to sprawl against the cage.

wekka
wekka

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:45 pm
Fairweather wrote:i always say i like a combination of both. a 5+ sided ring with stronger ropes and a good netting on the bottom is perfect for MMA imo.
Pentagon Fighting Championships?
fka
fka

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:50 pm
M-1 RAGE

Its outright mind boggling how nobody can admit it is the levelest playing field.

Adax

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 pm
fka wrote:Cages seem disorienting to the fighters inside them sometimes, their use of angles are lacking or used improperly. You see fighters circling or backing into the cage all the time. ”

I don't think its disorienting I think it's fighters more anticipating a takedown as it seems the go to tdd is to sprawl against the cage.

That's a fair point, but sometimes you see a dude in there trying to strike that just looks completely bewildered.

fka wrote:M-1 RAGE

Its outright mind boggling how nobody can admit it is the levelest playing field.

BRING BACK THE RAGE!!!

Sell Me on The Ring for MMA 854363785
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:55 pm

I never heard of this M-1 Rage before you mentioned it; had to look it up. The cage/ring they use looks perfect! Do you have any videos of fights in it? Or know of any upcoming events that will use it?
wekka
wekka

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 pm
Hamilcar wrote:

I never heard of this M-1 Rage before you mentioned it; had to look it up. The cage/ring they use looks perfect! Do you have any videos of fights in it? Or know of any upcoming events that will use it?
It was used for M-1 Heavyweight Grand Prix events, so any of those. It was only.temporary for the Grand Prix
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 am
Hamilcar wrote:

I never heard of this M-1 Rage before you mentioned it; had to look it up.  The cage/ring they use looks perfect!  Do you have any videos of fights in it?  Or know of any upcoming events that will use it?
Sell Me on The Ring for MMA 23502_zps6f04a1fd

@ 10:24
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum