GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares Empty WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 pm
Newly crowned WSOF welterweight champ Steve Carl (21-3-0) is anxious to get back in the cage and defend his belt for the first time, however that time has yet to be determined.

The former Bellator tournament contender doesn't yet know who will be next to challenge him for his title but one thing is certain: it doesn't matter. Carl will be going into his first title defense without injury and a proper training camp, unlike his championship bout with Burkman. At the moment, the likely candidate is Jon Fitch, however the former UFC title contender is expecting a little one early next year, which could potentially throw a wrench in the gears.

As the WSOF roster continues to expand, so does it's most stacked division, giving rise to the level of competition the champ will face. The most recent acquisition to the welterweight division is the always controversial Rousimar Palhares, known for his tenacity and vicious heel hooks. Free agent and former Bellator champ Ben Askren is a prospective candidate to be inked to the organization as well and should it happen, Carl would expect a fight with the Olympian right away; thinking the exact opposite of Palhares.

In his first word swap with us here at Buddhasport, Carl gives his thoughts on Askren/Fitch/Palhares as well as what it was like to fight Pankration in Russia and even chimes in on the St. Pierre/Hendricks controversy.

Dave Herbert: Congrats champ. What was going through your mind when they placed that WSOF belt around your waist?

Steve Carl: I didn't really believe it was happening to be honest. I was so physically exhausted I didn't think it was going to happen.

DH: It's not official yet but as you know, it's probable that the first guy you will defend your title against will be Jon Fitch. Thoughts on that matchup?

Carl: I'm excited to fight Fitch if that's who I end up fighting. I think he is a great fighter, but I believe I'm a bad matchup for him. He is expecting a baby soon so there is really no way to tell when that fight will happen.

DH: What would you say is the biggest threat a guy like Fitch poses, if any?

Carl: Fitch is a GNP grinder, he gets you down and wears you down. I think the biggest threat Fitch poses is wearing you out with his wrestling and getting you into the later rounds where he uses his tremendous gas tank to out-pace his opponent.

DH: Thoughts on the "generous" offer extended to longtime Bellator champ Ben Askren?

Carl: I haven't heard any official word on Ben signing with WSOF or any intention from Ben to do so, but he would be a great fighter to bring into the welterweight division and a great matchup for me.

DH: Do you think there is a distinct possibility you would be facing Askren next were he to sign with WSOF?

Carl: If Ben were to sign with WSOF I would expect to fight him right away.

DH: There has also been alot of talk in regards to Fitch fighting Askren for the next shot at the title, should he be inked. Being that you don't like taking too much time off, do you agree with this?

Carl: Absolutely not, Fitch had talked about taking some time off seeing as how he is expecting a child I believe in February. If Askren comes to WSOF, I would want to fight him right away and Fitch could fight the winner later when he's focused.

DH: What about the recent signing of Rousimar Palhares? Could he be a possible next challenger?

Carl: I do not expect to fight Rousimar Palhares next. I think he is a bad ambassador for the sport and it wouldn't be a very good punishment to have a title fight straight off a disciplinary suspension. I do believe he is a very talented fighter, but that is overshadowed by his inability to control himself and follow the rules. There is a lot of hype surrounding Palhares both good and bad and I believe why that is why WSOF chose to sign him, because regardless if everyone likes or hates him they will want to watch him fight again.

DH: How do you like fighting for the WSOF organization so far? How does it compare to Bellator?

Carl: Fighting for WSOF has been a great experience so far. They've come a long way in their first year and I was able to be a part of it from the first show. My only complaint has been the down time in between fights but with the new NBC Sports deal they will be rolling out shows on a more regular basis, so I'm hoping that won't be much of a concern soon.

DH: How do you feel about not having to fight in a tournament to become champion? Is it refreshing or just the opposite?

Carl: I'd have to say it's refreshing, because the entire tournament set up just added more and more pressure it felt like. My two loses in Bellator... my mental game hadn't evolved yet and the inability to deal with the stress and pressure was my downfall.

DH: Since the loss to Lima, you have been on a tear, winning 7 straight. Did that loss spark something in you? Did you change anything in your training?

Carl: A spark definitely went off in my head and I understood that the only person that was beating me was myself. If I wanted to be one of the best, the only thing I had to do was stop holding myself back. My training did change after that. I actually started training less, resting more, and just believing in my own abilities. My confidence was really tested against Burkman. I was injured going into the fight and I was unable to train and had to rest and rehab myself right up until the fight. I knew if I stayed calm and confident even without training, my body could hold up for one fight. I had trained for years for that moment and I just needed to believe in myself to accomplish it.

DH: How does it feel to know you are going into your first title defense healthy and uninjured?

Carl: It feels awesome really. Knowing I finished Burkman in that shape really got my confidence up. Being healthy for the next fight, it doesn't matter who they send at me because I'm a hundred percent.

DH: If you could get a shot at avenging any of your losses, who would you choose?

Carl: I'd say Dan Hornbuckle, because I let the pressure of the spotlight overcome and completely overwhelm me during that fight, way worse than the Lima fight. I only thought about losing until I made that self-defeating prophecy come true.

DH: Describe your experience fighting Pankration in Russia? What was it like?

Carl: Pankration was an amazing show and such a great experience. After having fought in Bulgaria I was expecting a more hostile fighting environment, but to my surprise the fans were awesome!! I have been wanting to fight overseas again ever since then!

DH: As a champion yourself, what is your take on the outcome of the St. Pierre/Hendricks bout?

Carl: Hendricks won the fight but St. Pierre won the match. MMA is a sport, and if a fight doesn't get finished, it's no longer a fight, it's a match that has been broken down and scored. In my opinion if you go out there and fight, it should never go to the judges.

DH: Any message (negative or positive) you would like to relay to Fitch or anyone that comes for your belt?

Carl: I have the belt and I'm ready to defend it so come and get it!!!! I'm not going anywhere!

Follow Steve Carl on twitter - @Steve_Carl

Main Photo by: Andrea Altman

Buaddhassport.com
adam
adam

WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares Empty Re: WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:51 pm
Carl is a well spoken dude.

I agree with him on Palhares.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares Empty Re: WSOF champ Steve Carl looking at Fitch next; explains his dis-taste for Palhares

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:21 pm
Palhares would heel hook him in rd 1.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum