GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  Empty UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm
It's taken a little while, but after 4 years and 26 events Extreme Fighting Championship Africa has had its first homegrown talent scooped up by the world's largest MMA promotion. It only makes sense that the man to lead the charge would be two-time heavyweight champion Ruan Potts. The 8-1 Potts has never fought outside of the EFCA. He captured the heavyweight crown at EFC 9 as a 2-0 fighter facing the similarly experienced Norman Wessels. After a pair of title defenses he lost the belt to Andrew van Zyl. Another two fight streak gave him a chance to regain the title, which he did, at EFC 26 and Zuffa came calling not long afterward.

The 33 year old Potts is a product of Mark Robinson MMA, training under the South African combat sports great (and former UFC vet). Robinson was an amateur Judo, Greco Roman, and Freestyle wrestling champion and the winner of the 2001 ADCC grappling tournament. If there's any training environment that could potentially produce a UFC caliber fighter in South Africa, I would imagine it includes Robinson. iafrica.com reported Potts' UFC signing on Monday.

Watching Potts fight is a little tricky because there's not a lot of recent footage available on him. However, from what I can piece together he's become a much, much more complete fighter in recent years than his early incarnations. Obviously his grappling base is extensive, and he excels at hitting a variety of body lock takedowns centered around a complicated trip, throw, and drag game using his Judo base. Once the fight is on the ground he is lightening quick at securing dominant positions, transitioning with speed to mount and side control. He has a wide variety of submission attacks on the ground and works hard to get to them. His striking, however, is where his work really shows.

Starting as mostly a face-forward brawler, Potts has evolved a seriously powerful kicking game. He throws hard, punishing kicks to the legs and body. It's a good range tool for a fighter who has no fear of going to the ground in any position. He's still a little wild getting into the clinch, and against the most accomplished heavyweight strikers that could cost him, but his strong Judo base should make him a tough out against the bottom half of the division. April has been announced as the probable debut date for Potts, so I'd expect to see him on the Abu Dhabi card this year.
Bloody elbow.com
Adax

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  Empty Re: UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:41 pm
Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad 
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  Empty Re: UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm
Yet another talent taken but efc doesn't have real money at all no surprise.

Sickening....

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
Heretic
Heretic

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm
UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  2266763299  World fucking Domination!
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:05 am
Too bad he couldn't have gone to Bellator. OneFC doesn't really have a HW division, and M-1, KSW, etc., I feel, sort of have some work to do these days to up their competitive game.

Best of luck to Potts (that is, in his indentured servitude).

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 am
That sucks.

Every time ZUFFA signs a prospect, I become a little physically ill. UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  722753432 pale 
megaronnie
megaronnie

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 am
UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  15c979fb-ff9b-4049-8a3d-351befdb99bb-620x399

Never Forget.......

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  9jwrhb10
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am
megaronnie wrote:UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  15c979fb-ff9b-4049-8a3d-351befdb99bb-620x399

Putin getting a little head...

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  3292854572 

The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 am
I think the people running EFC Africa thought they could work with Zuffa - just like WFA, IFL, Strikeforce, WEC, etc., etc.

UFC signs EFC Africa heavyweight champion Ruan Potts  31300007784_b19087ca60_m
Adax

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 am
nhbnews wrote:I think the people running EFC Africa thought they could work with Zuffa - just like WFA, IFL, Strikeforce, WEC, etc., etc.

What can we do to convince these organizations that they are wrong and that they are contributing to the downfall of worldwide MMA?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum