GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc)

+6
IQ Wrestler
Michał
nodogoshi
Frank Hill
Hollywood Dang
KryonikMessiah
10 posters
Go down
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc) Empty Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:21 am
Was giving this some thought earlier, and have had this conversation with friends before.

I think Aleksandr Karelin would have been absolutely fantastic were he younger and had MMA been more popular in his prime. Guy did one fight in RINGS, but it doesn't really say much in the long run, as many RINGS fights were apparently worked (not complaining, MMA wasn't very distinct from Puro yet, and the whole japanese shootfighting scene kinda owns). Guy apparently carried iceboxes and shit on his back to train, being a fucking super athlete of sorts, and is widely considered the greatest Greco-Roman guy of all time.

Given his strengths and athletic gifts, he'd probably be a lot like what people expected out of Kerr. Could have seen him manhandling most if not everyone in the NHB era, though who knows how well he'd take cross-training. Willing to bet he'd probably cross-train a lot of Sambo and BJJ.

I don't know, I love these discussions. Pipe in! Doesn't have to be about Karelin, but am interested in the thoughts of other people regarding potential "prospects" we won't see for one reason or another.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc) Empty Re: Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am
Mighty Mo if he joined earlier

Vicious overhand and striking style which work much better in MMA than in K-1 and a great takedown defense
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc) Empty Re: Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 am
Kurt Angle
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am
Had that conversation too. Poor Kurt. Should have held out just a couple more years and went somewhere that would have been much better for him.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 am
Financially wwe was the better option. He probably would have gone to the UFC if anything and as we all know UFC (especially back then) equals U fight cheap though he probably would have gotten a decent contract. He would have fit in perfectly in PRIDE though.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 am
Are you kidding me? A reasonably young Karelin in MMA is a wet dream type of thing.

But, my feeling on the matter is that even if MMA had been big at the time, he probably would've stuck with wrestling and not done anything which would compliment his wrestling career, such as fighting. If MMA would've been big by the time he was finished wrestling though, who knows. He might have wanted to challenge himself at it.
Michał
Michał

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 am
ALEK
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 am
Hmm...I'm gonna be a little different and say Ogawa.
The dude had freakish judo, size, cardio, athleticism and charisma in buckets but just didn't seem to care about MMA...which is understandable given how much $ he was making in puro.

But my #1 has gotta be Shibata. I thought he would be the next Saku. Big built in fanbase, decorated amateur wrestler, great striking, trained in old school puro way and is easily the most badass japanese dude ever made but FEG fed him to the lions...Should i write an article on him?
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 pm
IQ Wrestler wrote:Hmm...I'm gonna be a little different and say Ogawa.
The dude had freakish judo, size, cardio, athleticism and charisma in buckets but just didn't seem to care about MMA...which is understandable given how much $ he was making in puro.

But my #1 has gotta be Shibata. I thought he would be the next Saku. Big built in fanbase, decorated amateur wrestler, great striking, trained in old school puro way and is easily the most badass japanese dude ever made but FEG fed him to the lions...Should i write an article on him?

Sounds like you have a nice start for one.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 pm
marcelo garcia, alexander karelin, kurt angle
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:34 pm
Bat-Erdene Badmaanyambuu
goodnightirene

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm
a few pro wrestlers, like Razor Ramon.

of course youd have to weed through the glass heart/jaws like Lashley, but i think theyd get some good dudes in there.

Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Best MMA Prospect that never was? (Age, Time Period, Etc) 20
Wolfman
Wolfman

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm
Aleksander Karelin, He's not only the wrestling GOAT but a physical beast. I don't believe he could be KOed and i can only imagine the power behind a punch of that guy. If i could bring someone to mma i'd definately be him.
KSW
KSW

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 am
Karelins strength was unbelievable and he would have been one of the all time greatest.
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 pm
Remember when Sapp was a legit prospect?
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 pm
Yep. And then Mirko broke his eye, turning him into the loveable joke we all know now.
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 pm
:bobsapp:

Bob Sapp gets too much hate.
He's given us a ton of awesome moments
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:52 pm
Yep. I meant Loveable Joke as a compliment.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum