GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
StealingFire
StealingFire

10 things I learned over the weekend Empty 10 things I learned over the weekend

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 am
10. Flyweights have more fun
9. Quick stand-ups are "in"
8. Not all ring girls are hot
7. The bigger they come, the harder they fall (re: Russians)
6. "Haggis"--consisting of oatmeal, sheep's liver and spices--is a savory pudding. (but don't tell that to Michael Schiavello)
5. Tall, lanky fighters are taking over the MMA world
4. The best streams in life are free
3. Co-main events should come after main events

Does anyone else feel this way? It seems like the co-mains always outshine the main events. I know promotions feel compelled to put the biggest names as the last fight but I really think they should reconsider sometimes.

2. Bellator needs a 4th round

From where I was sitting, 2 of the 4 LW tournament fights were draws and needed a deciding round. Bellator needs to swallow their pride and copy the UFC's extra round idea (even if it didn't work for the UFC). I'm pretty sure at least one of the 2 fights in question would have came out differently.

1. There's no substitute for experience

I've been learning this one for a long time but I'm finally convinced. Of all the close matchups this weekend, it's hard to find a single fight where the less experienced fighter won. Here are some of the more prominent victories:

Rich Clementi defeats Alexander Sarnavskiy by decision at Bellator 77 - LW tourney QF
Ricardo Tirloni defeats Rene Nazare by Submission at Bellator 77 - LW tourney QF
John Teixeira defeats Rafael Macedo by TKO at Shooto Brazil 35
Jai Bradney defeats Greg Atzori by Submission at Nitro MMA 7 - LW title fight
Jesse Gross defeats Seiji Sugiman-Marangos by KO/TKO at SFS 6
Sergej Juskevic defeats Gerald Meerschaert by Submission at SFS 6
Ivica Truscek defeats Sergei Churilov by TKO at WFC 17 - WW title fight

Except for Teixeira, all of these winners were underdogs in their fights.* Yet experience prevailed. I would even argue that Nakamura was more experienced than Sakurai in the DEEP main event. Although Sakurai has more fights, Nakamura's clearly fought the better competition throughout his career.

Anyone else have any revelations or discoveries?

*based on Tapology picks
KSW
KSW

10 things I learned over the weekend Empty Re: 10 things I learned over the weekend

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am
Good stuff Very Happy I came to the conclusion (a while back) that the russians are better in M-1 with ring and their rules. I want to see all fighters getting a rematch in the ring to really determine who´s the better fighter.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

10 things I learned over the weekend Empty Re: 10 things I learned over the weekend

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 am
StealingFire wrote:

Well, they 'all' haven't fallen yet.

These two WW guys, Андрей Корешков & Михаил Царев are still standing and one has a great chance of winning their tourney. Three fighters born in former-Soviet Union are in the semi finals. Two Ruskies, a Lithuania and 'only' one American. Then you got 2 more Russian alive in 2 other weight classes.

Whatever happens from here on in... just to this point, that's a pretty awesome showing. Let alone the fact that some had never fought over here in a cage which demands quite different offensive/defensive techniques & strategies involving the cage plus different rules & scoring.

monaroCountry

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:26 am
StealingFire wrote:10. Flyweights have more fun
9. Quick stand-ups are "in"
8. Not all ring girls are hot
6. "Haggis"--consisting of oatmeal, sheep's liver and spices--is a savory pudding. (but don't tell that to Michael Schiavello)
5. Tall, lanky fighters are taking over the MMA world
4. The best streams in life are free
3. Co-main events should come after main events
10. Always the case where the lower weights is better to watch, but the heavier divisions are more the heros.
4. +1
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 am
StealingFire wrote:
1. There's no substitute for experience

I've been learning this one for a long time but I'm finally convinced. Of all the close matchups this weekend, it's hard to find a single fight where the less experienced fighter won. Here are some of the more prominent victories:

Rich Clementi defeats Alexander Sarnavskiy by decision at Bellator 77 - LW tourney QF
Ricardo Tirloni defeats Rene Nazare by Submission at Bellator 77 - LW tourney QF
John Teixeira defeats Rafael Macedo by TKO at Shooto Brazil 35
Jai Bradney defeats Greg Atzori by Submission at Nitro MMA 7 - LW title fight
Jesse Gross defeats Seiji Sugiman-Marangos by KO/TKO at SFS 6
Sergej Juskevic defeats Gerald Meerschaert by Submission at SFS 6
Ivica Truscek defeats Sergei Churilov by TKO at WFC 17 - WW title fight

Except for Teixeira, all of these winners were underdogs in their fights.* Yet experience prevailed. I would even argue that Nakamura was more experienced than Sakurai in the DEEP main event. Although Sakurai has more fights, Nakamura's clearly fought the better competition throughout his career.

I completely agree. Experience always gets looked over in MMA. Who ever looks the most like a pro bodybuilder doesn't.

BTW - Take a look at what it says under my avatar where says age> Very Happy

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum