GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor  - August 26th (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION) - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor - August 26th (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:31 am
CDF47 wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:Not only that but what does it say that Dana is promoting this fight and barely paying attention to the upcoming UFC shows? Why is he still around especially when this fight was signed after he was kicked to the curb?

He is front and center in their world tour shows which are pretty interesting.  Last one is coming up in London.

I know and I don't know why. What's he needed for? He should be promoting his upcoming events that have some good fights. Not only that, I remember reading the fight didn't get signed until WME took over negotiations from him.

That would be interesting if it took WME to step in.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/8/15766198/report-dana-white-no-longer-running-negotiations-mayweather-vs-mcgregor-fight

Now, Dana has denied this but we all know not to trust Dana. Anyway, this was on June 8th and six days later, the fight was officially announced.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor  - August 26th (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION) - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor - August 26th (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:38 am
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:Not only that but what does it say that Dana is promoting this fight and barely paying attention to the upcoming UFC shows? Why is he still around especially when this fight was signed after he was kicked to the curb?

He is front and center in their world tour shows which are pretty interesting.  Last one is coming up in London.

I know and I don't know why. What's he needed for? He should be promoting his upcoming events that have some good fights. Not only that, I remember reading the fight didn't get signed until WME took over negotiations from him.

That would be interesting if it took WME to step in.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/8/15766198/report-dana-white-no-longer-running-negotiations-mayweather-vs-mcgregor-fight

Now, Dana has denied this but we all know not to trust Dana. Anyway, this was on June 8th and six days later, the fight was officially announced.

First I heard of this. Interesting.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 pm
http://deadspin.com/the-mcgregor-mayweather-fight-will-be-dumb-as-dogshit-1796115375

A Deadspin article on this fight.  One thing I never thought of is how McGregor would go from making his planet load of cash to pennies the UFC offers.  I think, he might just call it quits after this fight (falsely so called).

http://www.thesweetscience.com/feature-articles/42707-playing-fans-mayweather-mcgregor-sting
And here's a boxing guy saying that Mayweather will win, because if there was any chance that he would lose, he would've never signed to the fight.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:25 am
Hamilcar wrote:http://deadspin.com/the-mcgregor-mayweather-fight-will-be-dumb-as-dogshit-1796115375

A Deadspin article on this fight.  One thing I never thought of is how McGregor would go from making his planet load of cash to pennies the UFC offers.  I think, he might just call it quits after this fight (falsely so called).

http://www.thesweetscience.com/feature-articles/42707-playing-fans-mayweather-mcgregor-sting
And here's a boxing guy saying that Mayweather will win, because if there was any chance that he would lose, he would've never signed to the fight.

Interesting articles. I am still interested in the fight though since in combat sports a lucky punch can end the night. As unlikely as it is, it's possible and I would love to see that live. This fight is just interesting to me because I never seen anything like it.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm
Crazy world tour these two had in California, Toronto, New York, and London.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:44 pm
CDF47 wrote:Crazy world tour these two had in California, Toronto, New York, and London.

All for another Mercer vs Sylvia fight. Or Ali vs Inoki. Toney vs Couture. CM Punk vs Gall. This is going to suck.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm
Hamilcar wrote:
CDF47 wrote:Crazy world tour these two had in California, Toronto, New York, and London.

All for another Mercer vs Sylvia fight.  Or Ali vs Inoki.  Toney vs Couture.  CM Punk vs  Gall.  This is going to suck.

Possibly, I think the odds are Mayweather will smoke him but there is always that small chance of a Buster Douglas/Mike Tyson fight.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm
CDF47 wrote:
Hamilcar wrote:

All for another Mercer vs Sylvia fight.  Or Ali vs Inoki.  Toney vs Couture.  CM Punk vs  Gall.  This is going to suck.

Possibly, I think the odds are Mayweather will smoke him but there is always that small chance of a Buster Douglas/Mike Tyson fight.

Little Nog beating all the Pan-Am superheavyweights except the Cuban, is what proves more than anything McGregor's chance in this fight.

The reason is Little Nog proved the difference between amateur and pro (the Cubans amateurs are also pros).

As such, Mayweather-McGregor is actually pro vs pro, even if it is a crossover fight.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
Hamilcar wrote:

Little Nog beating all the Pan-Am superheavyweights except the Cuban, is what proves more than anything McGregor's chance in this fight.

The reason is Little Nog proved the difference between amateur and pro (the Cubans amateurs are also pros).

As such, Mayweather-McGregor is actually pro vs pro, even if it is a crossover fight.

That's right. Both pro fighters. After this, I'd like to see Mayweather in the Octagon as he said he would do, however, unlikely that is.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 am
Gloves have been changed from 10 oz to 8 oz. Just one week away.
Kingfedor
Kingfedor

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 pm
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:21 am
Kingfedor wrote:

Good video. McGregor has some nice cars.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm
I'm ordering with some friends and family.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:35 pm
Big fight tonight!
Kingfedor
Kingfedor

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm
CDF47 wrote:Big fight tonight!
YEP Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor  - August 26th (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION) - Page 2 4105382097
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:01 am
So, apparently the UFC Fightpass stream didn't have enough bandwidth to handle the amount of traffic. Card delayed as a result; people unable to watch undercard; people demanding refunds.
Heretic
Heretic

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 am
I liked how Mcgregor was using his angles on floyd. Conor gassed and that was it
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:44 pm
Really good fight. Conor did way better than I thought. Had a decent group to order the $100 fight and it was worth it.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:50 pm
What I'm hearing from boxing fans, is that Mayweather did what he always does, feel out the opponent for the first few rounds and then, because it's Conor, started wailing away at Conor to take his legs out and the KO him.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:54 pm
Hamilcar wrote:What I'm hearing from boxing fans, is that Mayweather did what he always does, feel out the opponent for the first few rounds and then, because it's Conor, started wailing away at Conor to take his legs out and the KO him.

Yeah, I think that was his game plan going in and he worked it out very well.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm
CDF47 wrote:
Hamilcar wrote:What I'm hearing from boxing fans, is that Mayweather did what he always does, feel out the opponent for the first few rounds and then, because it's Conor, started wailing away at Conor to take his legs out and the KO him.

For sure; It's an old script.

First time I saw it was when I was about 14 at a party, and one of my buddies who was one of the tougher dudes around those times when the boxing gloves would come out; went toe-to-toe with another dude, who was a little older and had a little amateur boxing experience.

It was a friendly affair and all, but my good buddy wailed away on him until the bystanders decided it had been a round. The other dude, Casey, mostly covered up.

Next round began the same, but with my buddy already a little winded; and Casey opening up on him a little, until my friend just threw the gloves off and walked away.

Casey told me afterwards, it was just simple boxing. Essentially, Casey defended any shots that'd damage him at much at all, and so it was mostly just wasted energy on my friend's part, even if it looked good through my beer goggles.

I hope it's more than a useless anecdote, because I'm not comparing Casey to a pro fighter of course, but I'm saying I was young at the time, and he effectively taught me that aspect of boxing, which is observable from time to time.

That being said, that bit Eddie Goldman brought up about Mayweather having a bet placed for him inside 9.5 rounds is for sure interesting.

It's essentially like a major league slugger calling his shot ala Babe Ruth, against a non- pro baseball player (sort of Eddie-style analogies--credit where due).
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:06 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
CDF47 wrote:

For sure; It's an old script.

First time I saw it was when I was about 14 at a party, and one of my buddies who was one of the tougher dudes around those times when the boxing gloves would come out; went toe-to-toe with another dude, who was a little older and had a little amateur boxing experience.

It was a friendly affair and all, but my good buddy wailed away on him until the bystanders decided it had been a round. The other dude, Casey, mostly covered up.

Next round began the same, but with my buddy already a little winded; and Casey opening up on him a little, until my friend just threw the gloves off and walked away.

Casey told me afterwards, it was just simple boxing. Essentially, Casey defended any shots that'd damage him at much at all, and so it was mostly just wasted energy on my friend's part, even if it looked good through my beer goggles.

I hope it's more than a useless anecdote, because I'm not comparing Casey to a pro fighter of course, but I'm saying I was young at the time, and he effectively taught me that aspect of boxing, which is observable from time to time.

That being said, that bit Eddie Goldman brought up about Mayweather having a bet placed for him inside 9.5 rounds is for sure interesting.

It's essentially like a major league slugger calling his shot ala Babe Ruth, against a non- pro baseball player (sort of Eddie-style analogies--credit where due).

It was a good old fashion boxing strategy he used very well. He wore Conor down until he had nothing left.
westcott123
westcott123

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:46 pm
^^ That was a good classic boxing strategy let the other person wail on you until he or she runs out of energy.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 pm
westcott123 wrote:^^ That was a good classic boxing strategy let the other person wail on you until he or she runs out of energy.

He blocked a lot of it.  Ali would do the same back in the day.  I thought Conor was winning most the fight until the final few rounds though. He punched himself out. Mayweather even said he was composing himself while Conor wore down because he's use to 25 minute fights and this is a 30 minute fight. He said it was part of his strategy. It clearly worked since Conor was exhausted in the last couple rounds.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum